1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support U. S. Verizon S3 4.3 Update - UGH!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 13ilgal, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 13ilgal

13ilgal Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2012
    Female
    My phone was working flawlessly - good battery life, smooth operations - until the (&^*^)(&*(&(^%&$$^ 4.3 update. No cell service, no wi-fi-, intermittent black screens, freezing, battery drain from 100% - 30% in 2 hours with NO USE. Ridiculous. So off I head to the Verizon store and am literally the first one in the store when the doors open.

Sales guy says "we are just a sales store, not a service store", and "I haven't heard anything about this". Um....there are 39 PAGES of complaints on the VW web site, but he "never reads those". First offer - reset phone, but if it doesn't work, I am SOL. My phone is out of warranty. I grumble and protest. He "talks to his manager", then offers to SELL me extended warranty coverage for $10 (per month, mind you). Um...no. The phone was fine until YOUR update trashed it. I ask for manager who finally agrees to replace phone (with refurb) at no cost but if that one doesn't work, I am SOL (yet again). Fine service here, folks. While I am arguing with manager, initial guy resets the phone and strips out ALL of my photos, settings, apps, etc. *Seems* to be working but only time will tell. I got the mgr to put his no-cost replacement offer on his business card and took it with me, just in case. What a hassle. If you don't have to get this update, DO NOT DO IT. Just my opinion. Phone was flawless before the "improvements". I love technology. Jeez.....

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The 4.3 "update" for the S3 has turned out to be a disaster. Everyone is getting bugs and they're all different bugs. I advise everyone who doesn't have 4.3 to refuse to accept the update, no matter which phone they have.

There's not much you can do now except rant, wait for a fix to the "fix" and, if you earn money by the trainload, sue someone. I would, but my net worth doesn't even come close to the last few digits of what Bill Gates gave away, and he's not wealthy enough to take on an entire global industry.

3. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Android Enthusiast
    None

Try taking it to a real Verizon store, not a 3rd party retailer or authorized seller. A full service flagship Verizon store should have techs there that should be able to help you.

13ilgal likes this.
  4. Galaxy Tab2 47

Galaxy Tab2 47 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 3, 2012
    Makes me really happy i went with Virgin Mobile USA,all has been just great.:)

5. 13ilgal

13ilgal Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2012
    Female
    OK, I have calmed down a little. After a complete reset, the phone is now working quite nicely. It's a drag to reinstall apps* and put it back the way I want it, but I have taken the opportunity to clean house and not re-download apps I hadn't used for awhile.

Battery life seems to have returned to normal and the flash has quit firing when the phone rings. I'm wondering if there weren't some apps that were conflicting with 4.3 that are now gone?

At any rate, I am breathing a little easier and hope others will have a good go of the update.

*I think that all of my Play Store and Amazon App Store apps would have automatically downloaded but I had the Verizon guy shut that down while I was at the store b/c there was no WiFi and I didn't want to gobble up my data plan. I'm now selectively reinstalling apps I think I'll use.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    People like me who flash custom roms always do a partial factory reset (wipes all the apps and settings) when installing an update because if we dont, the phone usually ends up buggy.
    It should be the same for non rooted people taking official updates.
    Its not that 4.3 is a bad update, its just that theres enough changes behind the scenes that its gona usually be buggy if you dont wipe the phone.
    The forums were crammed with people having problems after updating the s3 from ICS to JB and 9/10 a reset fixed it.
    I know its harder for people who arent rooted because you have to wipe the WHOLE phone and its harder for you to back things up but id say to anyone, be prepared to do a factory reset when you take a big update no matter what phone youre on :thumbup: