1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

UAE access to Android Market?...again!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JDR777, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JDR777

JDR777 Lurker

Hi all,

I've just signed up to these forums after reading through a lot of the threads.
    I'm asking a similar question as some have asked before, but I'm still confused!:thinking:

I know that the full paid Android Market is not available here in the UAE. I've read through all the threads on rooting your phone or using the dialer to reset the region.

What I'd just like to know, from someone who has the experience or knowledge:

1) If I buy a Galaxy S2 here in Dubai, will it only have the SlideME app?

2) If I put an Irish or UK sim card into it, will I be able to access the full paid Market or will it require further modification? eg to even get the full market app.

3) If i purchased an S2 unlocked from the UK, then inserted my UK or Irish sim into it, would I be able to access the full paid market while in the UAE over wifi? Or will it detect my location anyway and block it?

Many thanks in advance for any answers!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I believe Google bases it on your IP address. So if your phone has a UAE IP address when it's accessing Play/Market, you'll get what's available for that country, e.g. free apps only.

Exactly the same thing for me. When I'm in Hong Kong, I can get paid apps as well as free, but in the Mainland it's free only.

Putting a UK SIM in the phone doesn't work...I've tried that. Google is still seeing my phone coming from a Chinese IP address. Not sure if using a UK or US proxy/VPN would work or not, never actually tried it.

See also this recent thread...
    http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/529498-google-play-thinks-i-am-somewhere-else.html

JDR777 likes this.