• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Uberfast Snap 7.6 w/ turbo released!

After having run cm6 with snap 7,6 for the few days prior I can tell you without question that the Fresh rom was much slower and less responsive. I used to think that rom was really fast but now it seems slow.

I didn't have to flash 7.6 to notice this,I did a comparison with snap7.xx and different Kernel combination with Fresh 3.2 and it didn't come close to CM6 and snap.

Reactions: jmxp69
Upvote 0
The only part of the kernel I had beef with was the quadrant score. I have no doubt that the turbo aspect is only a portion of the kernel, and that if it were disabled, snap would still be a damn fine custom kernel.
Turbo is optional. It does not have to be enabled with 7.6.

And I definitely appreciate the QA effort put in. I don't question that snap overall provides a better user experience with or without turbo. It worked great for me when I tried it. I just expected a lot more because it did score so high on quadrant.
I think this is where our disconnect is. Per my PM, what exactly do you man when you say you expect a lot more? Stock, the EVO already fires applications off pretty quick. Let's say 2 seconds. If we get even a modest 20% IO boost the translation in userspace is a 1.8 second launch. How do you measure the difference if you're an end user?

But I don't think it's unreasonable to caution these end users who are flashing their high quadrant scores around that you can't judge the kernel's overall performance based solely on that benchmark, especially when that benchmark puts so much weight into the IO aspect that you have optimized.
If you spent any time in the XDA thread, you will see multiple requests by me and other members of the dev team asking users to provide feedback outside of benchmarks. I think you're just being unfair here.

My observation is that battery life is unchanged (still great, but unchanged) regardless of the presence of turbo.
That's because we're not fiddling clock, we're dialing-in IO. We're not changing bus speed either, this is all about IO. Battery isn't going to be impacted.

In the end, I'd like to see people come to their conclusions about the kernel without relying on the benchmark score, the piece about snap I feel is misleading a lot of users.
We have never misled anybody because we've never asserted anything about performance. And as I've said previously, I've done my very best to provide subjective and objective measure. The XDA thread is replete with comment after comment claiming overall better performance. You've merely stated your opinion and haven't done anything to disprove performance gains.

I have spent enough time justifying what we've done. As most of you can imagine, I am not a rookie when it comes to computing and performance measurement. My personal view on snap--independent from the fact that I tweaked/compiled it--is that the end user experience is superior to a stock kernel. This conclusion is based on subjective assessment after interaction with the device over time, a comprehensive beta test with devoted and exceptionally particular beta testers, a thread with multiple independent observations claiming improvements, and objective measurements from the only known comprehensive benchmark application I have access to. Per my PM, Quadrant may not be perfect, but I do believe it demonstrates relatativity. Compared to stock, I am convinced there is a relative improvement even if it's not 100% (because IO constitutes only 25% of the result).

I've also invited you to express your views on the XDA thread where there are far more first-hand experiences--yet you haven't showed up there. I wonder why?

J

Reactions: v01rider
Upvote 0
This is exactly the type of feedback that tells me we're on the right track. FWIW: We've had a few implementation problems, but once folks are up and running, this is basically the universal response.
you guys keep on doing what your doing.Snap team is killing the Android league.You guys started with Kernels now we have widgets,wallpapers and splash screens,soon enough you are gonna see people rocking snap cases and t-shirts,lol. Do you see this getting any better? I do, once you guys drop .34.

Upvote 0
freshly installed cm6 and turbo snap7.6. no personal apps and NOT overclocked.

EDIT: to clarify this is the BFS version

15dkke1.jpg

Upvote 0
you guys keep on doing what your doing.Snap team is killing the Android league.You guys started with Kernels now we have widgets,wallpapers and splash screens,soon enough you are gonna see people rocking snap cases and t-shirts,lol. Do you see this getting any better? I do, once you guys drop .34.

agreed. i just flashed cm6. not even 24hours later, im not missing sense and loving the snappiness. i thought fresh was snappy, no disrespect toast/flipz, but damn you guys unlocked the power. im not even OC'd yet and love it! i was skeptical at first, afraid really. wanted to play it "safe". but ive flashed fresh, baked snack, calukin....i figured why the hell not give cyan a chance!

Upvote 0
agreed. i just flashed cm6. not even 24hours later, im not missing sense and loving the snappiness. i thought fresh was snappy, no disrespect toast/flipz, but damn you guys unlocked the power. im not even OC'd yet and love it! i was skeptical at first, afraid really. wanted to play it "safe". but ive flashed fresh, baked snack, calukin....i figured why the hell not give cyan a chance!
I hear you.I have tried numerous ROMs but I always come back to the combination that does it for me and never lets me down regardless if is a beta or a stable release.

I respect and give mad props to all the devs out there but the quality of this combination is just undeniable.

Upvote 0
ok, not a problem..lots of nandroids on my sd..
now dont laugh, but if I do a full wipe, and install this kernel, I will just have a kernel on my phone, and no ROM, correct, or, does doing a full wipe leave the ROM intact, or, should I just flash the kernel, then flash my latest cyanogen nandroid over it?

sorry about the n00b questions, guys, but I know you all understand..

thanks!

Upvote 0
ok, not a problem..lots of nandroids on my sd..
now dont laugh, but if I do a full wipe, and install this kernel, I will just have a kernel on my phone, and no ROM, correct, or, does doing a full wipe leave the ROM intact.

sorry about the n00b questions, guys, but I know you all understand..

thanks!
Delete some of the old ones.When you do a full wipe the ROM stays the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones