1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ubuntu 12.10

Discussion in 'Computers' started by noonehereyet, Jun 10, 2012.

1. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I thought unity was based on gnome anyway.

Shame, I love unity 3d

3. SUroot

Oh right. Ships without gnome shell

Edit, so let me get this right... Its nothing to do with unity being replaced at all. Its forking the gnome control centre repository (something that already exists in Ubuntu) to make a few changes to it and rebrand it as Ubuntu control centre.

Nothing to do with the demise of unity 2d or 3d?!

4. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One...

No, Unity 2d is gone... However Unity 3d is alive and well and will be forked with gnome 3.6. It's honestly not surprising since using 2d or anything without compiz is almost unheard of these days....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5OTA

SUroot likes this.
  5. SUroot

I suppose its getting to the point in time where most older systems about will easily support 3d..

6. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One...

Exactly and the fact that Unity will become more "gnome" like wont hurt either... As you most likely know, the reason most people have left Ubuntu for distros like mint is because of Unity. If Unity forks Gnome it opens more doors for continued use and less reasons for anti-unity people to leave... Personally I don't like Unity at all but I still run Ubuntu on 2 of my 3 linux machines, mint on the third. I do however prefer the fork of Gnome 2.0 aka Mate to most other desktops but that is the great thing about Linux and Debian based distros. Your desktop is never what you don't want you can always make it your own...

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I think so as well. If something doesn't support hardware 3D at all, it's got to be like really ancient, maybe 1990s vintage or older.