• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ubuntu booted from USB

jonbonazza

Android Expert
Jul 13, 2010
Well, I have been a long time linux user, spinning everything from SlackWare to Ubuntu, but I realized the other night that I have never attempted to make a live, persistent USB install, so I decided to devote last evening to doing just that.

The good:
Ubuntu makes liveUSBs and LiveCDs a since with its usb-creator application. I had a working install within minutes.

The bad:
As would be expected, it was slow as all hell and borderline unusable. This should be obvious as all IO is happening via USB which isn't exactly the fastest interface in the world, however I was hoping that maybe Ubuntu created some sort of magic using fairies, unicorns and a collection of rainbows to make it work at a usable speed. It seems they lacked the right amount of unicorns.

Summary:
Don't waste your time.

not sure what your issue was but I've never had a problem with a live usb or a persistent one I do believe with Ubuntu on a persistent usb you are limited to 4gig but that should really have nothing to do with the speed. Heck I have even had ultimate boot cd on usb and it ran much faster than the cd. Are you sure you don't have a failing thumb drive?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
if laptop is only 3 years old it should be usb 2 i'm thinking the thumbdrive itself is the issue. I run fedora 16 on a usb 160gig harddrive that I have hooked up to my laptop. I also have a 320 gig storage drive on here and a 500 gig internal hd with Windows 7. I use the 500 gig more for storage than for windows as I rarely go into windows but dude I have no issue or lag running fedora this way.

Upvote 0
I mean, I can use the normal Desktop iso? I don't need a special iso to boot from live? The reason I ask is because whatever tool I use to create it (I have used many) I am always asked at startup weather I want to "try ubuntu" or "install." Is this normal for a live install? I know it's supposed to do that when you burn the iso to a cd or let ubuntu put itself on a usb stick, but I would think that if you wanted to create a live, persistent USB installation, that the try and install options wouldn't be there and it would act just like it would if it was installed to an HDD. Am I wrong?

Upvote 0
All of the iso images of distros will have the try/install option since they are intended to install the distro to a permanent location. If you want to add a persistent customized linux installation that will save settings apps and data, take a look at Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux. Can't say that I've done it, though.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I mean, I can use the normal Desktop iso? I don't need a special iso to boot from live? The reason I ask is because whatever tool I use to create it (I have used many) I am always asked at startup weather I want to "try ubuntu" or "install." Is this normal for a live install? I know it's supposed to do that when you burn the iso to a cd or let ubuntu put itself on a usb stick, but I would think that if you wanted to create a live, persistent USB installation, that the try and install options wouldn't be there and it would act just like it would if it was installed to an HDD. Am I wrong?

lunatic hit it with his link in the above post but in order to do a persistent you have to flash it a bit differently. The normal "Live Boot" only lets you create an live instant for checking things out. You are limited though to the amount of memory it gives you which is I belive around the size of a cd. A persistent one actually saves data and settings so when you shut it down and restart it your data and settings are saved. However they are also limited in the amount of space you can have. Ubuntu used to be 4gig but That was back with 10 I'm not sure about now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones