• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ubuntu Edge!!

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Canonical is at it this time with a Indiegogo campaign to try to raise 32 Million dollars for their new device, the Ubuntu Edge, a phone with some amazing high hardware, that will shame the phones we have today...

Their goal, as they say, is not to get into the phone market, but they want to push the market a lot faster than the pace its at today. Anyhow the phone and its software look amazing, but too high buck for me. What do you all thing of this?

Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, an 8 core phone? I think that's what they are aiming for, the really high spec phones.

The ones mentioned are low-quality cores.

Give it something that doesn't involve a lot of small tasks at once and any of the high quality quads will leave it far behind.
Even some of duals would kill it.

Why are the 8 cores lower quality?

So that it doesn't need to be liquid cooled and powered by a car battery.

Upvote 0
I'm inclined to agree, I'd like to see a tablet with Ubuntu. Definitely if they have a p processor from Qualcomm. The Snapdragon processors have become my favorite. So I'd be happy with 2gb RAM, expandable memory, Snapdragon, 32gb internal memory. Screen size anywhere from 8-12 inches. I think that would put them in a market that isn't already swamped by smartphones. I think there may be more room to open up in the tablet market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones