• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UbuntU Mobile Os Port Possible???

davidmargolin

Android Expert
Mar 6, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
ubuntu-smartphone.png

ubuntu mobile os just came out and i just wanted to know if our phone can handle it and if making a port of it over from the available image for the nexus 4 is at all possible... would love to see this thing over on the 3d...

source: Canonical announces its Ubuntu smartphone OS | Android Central

If I'm not mistaken...aren't some of the kernels we now use Linux kernels...?

But regardless...This would be my daily if we got it working
Really? How many users would want a phone interface that looks like Ubuntu desktop? And from what I saw in the video it doesn't, so that pretty much negates the concept of having one OS platform for many device types.

What would you see as the advantages of running this versus Android? Google probably wouldn't allow it to access the thousands of apps in the Play Store or their services like Google Voice and Google+ except from the browser interfaces for those apps.

After all the effort that went into getting MMS for VM working on AOSP based ROM's, imagine the issues in getting all the apps used on a daily basis ported over and working on another OS, and it would take a lot of resources to accomplish that. With Apple, Google and Microsoft as the major players in the mobile phone market, can a company like Canonical really compete?

IMO, Ubuntu has a better chance of succeeding on tablets, and should try to get a foothold there first. Here's the vendor's webpage for the phone version of Ubuntu and I don't see any specifications on hardware requirements, but with enough effort it could probably be ported to run on most devices that can support Jelly Bean.

My guess is that this will be pretty much of a novelty on phones, but I could be wrong. I just don't see any problems with the current phone OS's that it solves.

ramjet73

Reactions: Branhower
Upvote 0
Really? How many users would want a phone interface that looks like Ubuntu desktop? And from what I saw in the video it doesn't, so that pretty much negates the concept of having one OS platform for many device types.

What would you see as the advantages of running this versus Android? Google probably wouldn't allow it to access the thousands of apps in the Play Store or their services like Google Voice and Google+ except from the browser interfaces for those apps.

After all the effort that went into getting MMS for VM working on AOSP based ROM's, imagine the issues in getting all the apps used on a daily basis ported over and working on another OS, and it would take a lot of resources to accomplish that. With Apple, Google and Microsoft as the major players in the mobile phone market, can a company like Canonical really compete?

IMO, Ubuntu has a better chance of succeeding on tablets, and should try to get a foothold there first. Here's the vendor's webpage for the phone version of Ubuntu and I don't see any specifications on hardware requirements, but with enough effort it could probably be ported to run on most devices that can support Jelly Bean.

My guess is that this will be pretty much of a novelty on phones, but I could be wrong. I just don't see any problems with the current phone OS's that it solves.

ramjet73

Actually there are hw requirements on the page
Operator and OEM partners | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

And it'll probably be as much of a novelty as people running linux on computers. sure its there and not many companies sell gnu/linux computers by default, some allow you to ask no operating system in it so its a hard ware buy and you configure the system however you want it.
I'd see something similar for this on phones. there will be those sold with it, far and few. but there will still be the option of devs and even users who are willing to get this working on their phones.

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0

ramjet73

Quoted for truth.

mrawesome22 said:
I think Ubuntu on a tablet would pretty awesome if it could run all the desktop apps fluently.

Running apps like Gimp, watching movies with VLC, file sharing with trasmission... on a tablet. Now that would be cool.

The Windows guys have this argument all the time; and it's pretty well agreed that the desktop environment is not ideal for touch. I'd think this would be cool too, but the novelty would wear off pretty fast unless you got a mouse nearby.

Upvote 0
Guys, in the video, they stated that Ubuntu would be the same image for desktops and phones/tablets, and the phone OS will run off of Android kernels. This means any phone meeting the minimum requirements will run Ubuntu out of the box.

Don't expect having this on your phone anytime soon. The scheduled release is April 2014, with the release of Ubuntu 14.04.

Edit: Also, the OS will not cost money. The mission of Ubuntu/Linux is to sustain an open source and free operating system.

Upvote 0
Guys, in the video, they stated that Ubuntu would be the same image for desktops and phones/tablets, and the phone OS will run off of Android kernels. This means any phone meeting the minimum requirements will run Ubuntu out of the box.

Don't expect having this on your phone anytime soon. The scheduled release is April 2014, with the release of Ubuntu 14.04.

galaxy nexus image files will be released within the next 2 weeks...

Upvote 0
So how does this relate to Ubuntu for Android | Devices | Ubuntu? Is that version available yet? After watching the video for Ubuntu for Android it seems like the latest version is just that base with a phone interface added. Kind of like Windows RT for the Surface.

BTW, I agree that it would fun to play with, but not a serious competitor to Android, iOS and WP8 in the big picture of mobile OS's.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones