1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Ubuntu on LG Ally?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by worldwaffle, May 4, 2011.

1. worldwaffle

worldwaffle Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    Hi everyone :D

As you may have figured out by now, I have a question. I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my phone, and am following this guide:

How to Install Ubuntu on Android! (And partly http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/ubuntu-on-nexus-one-android/ for the files. These files are on the original link I think, however, too.)

Well, I get down to step 12. Then, when I should be butting up into command-line Ubuntu, I fail. It may be because the LG Ally doesn't support "loop devices" (?)

Anyways, help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT 1: added the parenthetical sentences -just to give credit where its due :)

Advertisement

2. atc3030

atc3030 Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Professional Bull Shitter. JK
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am going to assume you are on windows since you are following said guide. I have made a guide myself specifically for the Ally and ubuntu. Its here, in the root section, and it guides you through building it from scratch. If you want, I will be in the irc channel on and off today. Join and catch me, I'll walk you through it. There is a way to do it from the phone only. Also, you have to be on a custom rom with GNM's kernel for loop support

3. AndroidKris

AndroidKris Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Will the kernel in Velocity 1.1 support this "loop"?

4. atc3030

atc3030 Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Professional Bull Shitter. JK
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have not tested it actually on the device with the kernel, However, I have looked at the Kernel in the rom to look at implementing it in My rom, and I do not see very many differences, none that would suggest the lack of support.

What all that basically means is, It should.

5. worldwaffle

worldwaffle Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    I used How to Install Ubuntu on Android!. I needed a ROM that supported "loop devices" so I tried Velocity 1.1. It worked.

(but I got the files from the author's other site http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/ubuntu-on-nexus-one-android/ -I think those files are on the original link though)

and.... Ubuntu runs! Slowly, but, it runs! It's also cool because I can connect to my phone from my computer using a VNC client. It's almost like the Atrix 4G's Webtop. I find it pretty cool.

So, because of this project, I basically got a great new ROM and accomplished my goal of installing Ubuntu. :D

EDIT 1: Corrected "ubuntu" to "Ubuntu"

6. d3310n

d3310n Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    florida
    This seems cool. Can i see a picture or a video of the phone running it?

7. tovida

tovida Newbie
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    Can you give us a link to your guide? And is it going to work on LG Optimus M, and what ROM/Kernel will we need for it?

Tags: