1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Ubuntu PPA - Installing ADB & Fastboot (Works with Ubuntu 11.04 & Up)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikeRL, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MikeRL

MikeRL Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    College Student
    For any Ubuntu version prior to 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) see this link:
    Install ADB And Fastboot Android Tools In Ubuntu Via PPA ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
    It will instruct you by telling you to add that PPA via terminal, update the repositories, and install ADB and fastboot without the need for the SDK, which is 32 bit only. The nice thing is this PPA and the package in 12.10 support 64 bit drivers for fastboot and ADB. For Uuntu 12.10, no PPA is needed. May be useful for anyone having issues. For Debian and others, I have no clue. (No N00buntu comments please). If you do have instructions for those, let me know, I will copy & paste it, quote it, give you credit, and add it to this OP. I am no developer but I can somewhat use the terminal. I've always kinda been in this semi-noob state, but I am willing to learn things. Since we're all finding out new stuff every day, I figure that link would prove useful.

Advertisement

2. piper_

piper_ Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    This has been in debian for awhile.
    A simple
    Code (Text):
    1. apt-get update && apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
    I will refrain from N00buntu comments but it's damn hard :)

Code (Text):
    1. piper@x1:~$ apt-cache search android-tools
    2. android-tools-adb - Android Debug Bridge CLI tool
    3. android-tools-fastboot - Fastboot protocol CLI tool
    Code (Text):
    1. piper@x1:~$ apt-cache policy android-tools-adb
    2. android-tools-adb:
    3.   Installed: 4.1.1+git20120801-1
    4.   Candidate: 4.1.1+git20120801-1
    5.   Version table:
    6.  *** 4.1.1+git20120801-1 0
    7.         500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
    8.         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Installing Debian Linux on your Android Phone

Installing Debian Linux on your Android Phone! - YouTube

MikeRL likes this.
  3. MikeRL

None

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    College Student
    I could've guessed that debian could do it. My only doubt would have been with their more conservative release cycle making it not available in their PPAs. I would try Debian if it had some ability to easily install proprietary drivers, newer packages (their release cycle is too conservative for me, it sometimes doesn't properly support newer hardware, but Ubuntu can sometimes get unstable with their forked debian packages), and Debian made live install discs available like Ubuntu. Yeah, call it n00bish, but I'm not stupid either (not saying you made me feel dumb) but I was pissed when they forced that shopping lens down our throats. First thing I did was remove it when I upgraded. Also, it worries me that GNOME and Ubuntu and other distros have parted ways in terms of end-user goals. GNOME removing those traditional menus and removing features and putting in stupid Chromish gears is seriously a completely idiotic design decision. If I ran things, we'd put aside our differences, have Ubuntu patch Debain's unstable packages, they'd work together and Ubuntu would become a customized unstable spin of Debian, and GNOME would remove some features, based off community vote, they could keep the gears but would be forced to bring traditional menus back. I'd install XFCE in a heartbeat on my boxes, but it's too darn ugly. They need to stop forking GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 (MATE and Cinnamon) and just recreate GNOME 3 with an older UI. I am friggin sick of all the forks and no leadership in Open Source. It almost makes me want to use Windows and like it. But not nearly quite. I am forced to use Windows for school, though. I just got 2 BSODs within a several months of installing Windows 8. It then told me it wasn't genuine when I reinstalled it. I don't have anything personal against Microsoft, but screw Windows Genuine disadvantage. Screw DRM. And screw Metro. They all suck butt and are half baked ideas. I am only allowed to install Windows on up to 3 PCs, and what's funny is I only installed it on my laptop. Guess Windoze crashed 3 times and needed several reinstalls. I then spent an hour and a half on the phone with Microsoft. We may disagree with Ubuntu, but I can assure you, I can agree with you that anything based off of the Linux kernel blows that fancy BSODing solitaire game off the map. Hopefully one day they fix it!

4. Scarsketch

Scarsketch Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2012
    Needing help installing a Linux distro with nautilus. Any info would be great packages having problems whilst installing

5. MikeRL

None

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    College Student
    What distro? Any Gnome-based distro will have Nautilus. That means the main flavor of Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Debian is decent but can be a pain. I would suggest starting with Mint. Google Linux Mint. I say Mint because it looks and works like Windows XP. But with less oldness and errors.

Scarsketch likes this.
  6. piper_

piper_ Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    I haven't ran debian stable since woody and once briefly with sarge when it first came out to test it

I have stuck with debian sid (unstable) since about 1997

That depends on what it is, the most common would be video card, pretty easy
    nvidia
    Code (Text):
    1. apt-get update && apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings
    amd/ati
    Code (Text):
    1. apt-get update && apt-get install fglrx glx-alternative-fglrx fglrx-control libgl1-fglrx-glx
    depending on what you want or need, packages are easy to install on debian, just like the proprietary drivers above

ubuntu for installing packages uses synaptic to install apps, synaptic is just a frontend wrapper to apt.

I really hope your kidding on that, that will never happen, and would severely break just about everything and would ruin debian

ubuntu is not debian binary compatible, not even close, what ubuntu does to debian packages disgusts *most debian people/users/package managers/devs, etc

What ubuntu does is take a collection of packages from debian, from both the stable and unstable repos, at a particular time, than freeze that snapshot and try to make a reliable distribution out of that snapshot.

Then they come back 6 months later and do it again, but, during that 6 months, debian unstable had evolved, and evolved alot, dependencies, libs, etc change, occasionally things are just plain broken.

In debian unstable, those breaks are eventually resolved, actually within 24-48 hours but ubuntu waits another 6 months before grabbing another snapshot of the repositories and the circle continues

This is why ubuntu breaks alot

Just don't install a ubuntu.deb on a debian system unless you can debianze (convert it to a debian.deb) it or are willing to fix your system, dependencies, libs, sym links, etc, after your next dist-upgrade

I won't get into it anymore here, I will be nice :)

debian sid updates 4 times a day (dist-upgrade)

I run 3 systems

lfs (linux from scratch)
    aptosid
    siduction

all 100 percent debian sid and built from scratch from the ground up by me (using pyfll) except for kernel which i haven't done in while and don't need to

system using at the moment
    Code (Text):
    1. piper@x1:~$ inxi -F
    2. System:    Host: x1 Kernel: 3.7-1.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
    3.            Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: pipers-reloaded-siduction 12.2.0 Riders on the Storm - kde - (201212281949)
    4. Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-970A-UD3 version: x.x Bios: Award version: F7 date: 10/22/2012
    5. CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm)
    6.            Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 3500.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 3500.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
    7. Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
    8.            GLX Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 310.70
    9. Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF106 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
    10.            Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
    11.            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7-1.towo-siduction-amd64
    12. Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
    13.            IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 90:2b:34:a5:99:2d
    14. Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2320.5GB (77.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sdb model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB
    15.            2: id: /dev/sdc model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB 3: id: /dev/sda model: ST3320620AS size: 320.1GB
    16. Partition: ID: / size: 187G used: 19G (11%) fs: reiserfs ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    17. Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 16.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 32C
    18.            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    19. Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 5:10 Memory: 1030.9/7973.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.24

7. MikeRL

None

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    College Student
    What I mean is Ubuntu should have assisted Debian in the beginning so this binary incompatible mess and flaming between the two sides would have never happened. And I'm not too stupid to run it. If things get ugly here, I would retreat to Mint, then Debian. Heck, anything besides having to deal with RPMs or worse - some distro that makes me compile everything! Takes way too much time! Just be glad I'm not on Windows exclusively. Those people are arguably the worst. People who are "fans" of one OS to the point they flame any OS based of the Linux kernel. No offence, but Apple is a cult and will not be mentioned here. They do have some decent hardware, though.

8. piper_

piper_ Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    debian came out in 1993, ub in what, 2004, if I remember correctly. The incompatible mess solely lies on ubuntu for making it that way, it is after all, debians code. ReactOS is more binary to windows than ubuntu is to debian

I guess choice is good in linux ;)

BSD is a fantastic system also :)

9. Scarsketch

Scarsketch Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2012
    Awesome bro will do