• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

colossus3874

Oct 11, 2012
Ok I think I messed up my computer. I got Ubuntu to install and while I thought I installed it alongside Windows, I can no longer boot into Windows 7. When I try, it says starting Windows but goes to the color splash screen and does nothing. Also when I do a system check up and click on software, it shows nothing. Don't know what I did but the wife is mad because I didn't back up her pictures first. Any help is appreciated

Well if you can boot the splash screen then I think only your filesystem is messed up.
Due to Ubuntu and windows using a different filesystem.
I think you should have installed Ubuntu on a flash drive and change the boot settings.
It makes Ubuntu completely secretive.
As soon as you unplug the flash drive, there is no history of Ubuntu therefore ninja like computing.

Upvote 0
Only thing I can think of is try reinstalling Grub boot manager and hopefully it will pick up Win 7 and include it in the boot menu. This is provided you are using Grub as the boot manager.

I'm also assuming you have only one hard drive setup as the dual boot drive and it's a Sata drive and not the newer drives.

Boot Ubuntu into the Livecd mode, I assume it still boot as live. Open a terminal, (DOS type screen) and run this command:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX, where X represent a letter,

Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Only thing I can think of is try reinstalling Grub boot manager and hopefully it will pick up Win 7 and include it in the boot menu. This is provided you are using Grub as the boot manager.

I'm also assuming you have only one hard drive setup as the dual boot drive and it's a Sata drive and not the newer drives.

Boot Ubuntu into the Livecd mode, I assume it still boot as live. Open a terminal, (DOS type screen) and run this command:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX, where X represent a letter,

Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Hope this helps

This !! If not you can use puppy linux; it has a built in GUI Grub installer if you're not comfortable with su commands. I use puppy all the time to restore bricked drives and such , very small can run from a FD.

Upvote 0
Ok I think I messed up my computer. I got Ubuntu to install and while I thought I installed it alongside Windows, I can no longer boot into Windows 7. When I try, it says starting Windows but goes to the color splash screen and does nothing. Also when I do a system check up and click on software, it shows nothing. Don't know what I did but the wife is mad because I didn't back up her pictures first. Any help is appreciated
If those pictures (and/or anything else not backed up on the disk) are important and irreplaceable, you might consider sending the drive to a professional data retrieval service. It's not a hard thing to do, but does require some fairly costly software and a certain amount of know-how. As a rule, if you're asking for help, my guess is that you don't possess both. (No offense, IJS.) At this point I'd be asking myself "Is it worth losing the entire Windows install for good?" Remember that all it takes is one wrong move to bork your data permanently. If I lost my only copy of my files beyond my skill level, I'd pay the money to have it professionally restored too!

Upvote 0
whether the windows side is messed up or not you should be able to access the files from ubuntu. I dual booted my computer at one point and I could access all my windows files like they were just another folder in ubuntu. Open your file manager and you should see something like "OS" under devices, click it and it will mount the windows files, find your pictures and copy them to an ubuntu folder... and wife is no longer angry :)

Upvote 0

I did the same thing to my Dads computer. Windows is there somewhere, but it's gone, as in it will not boot into Windows at all. My best guess would be to find a way to somehow uninstall Ubuntu on the computer, that way it might be possible to get back into windows. But if you can't figure out a way, its best to leave it alone and take it to a computer repair shoppe somewhere and have them fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones