1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

UD2.5: a looong time to get back to home screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by (G), Feb 27, 2011.

1. (G)

(G) Android Expert

I just rooted a few weeks ago, so I'm still a noob and am hoping some of you experienced folks could shed some insight.

I'm running an OG Droid with UD2.5 (which is running the built in ADW Launcher). I've moved almost every app I can to the SD card (figuring I'd give the launcher more head room), but 4 out of 5 times, when I go back to the home screen (via "back" key or "home" key), it takes over 10 seconds for my homescreen to repopulate.

If I do a battery pull or reboot, even after a minute, the first time I swipe to switch screens, I ALWAYS get a force close.

I'm only running 4 widgets (weather, countdown, cal widget and Set CPU widget).

What else do you need to know?

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Have you gone into Performance Settings and Locked Home in Memory? I have also found that setting the VM Heap to 24 helped my homescreen redraw speed. I don't use ADW but LauncherPro. You may look for ADW settings about using homescreen caches and building caches as needed.

(G) likes this.
  3. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Thar be dragons! :) Actually I stayed out of that area until just now. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Mine was already set to 24, so I'll leave it there and see.

This is something I'm not understanding. Isn't ADW "built in" to UD2.5? And wouldn't running an alternate launcher just add that much more stress to the processor?

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I run LauncherPro all day long on UD 2.5 and I find no "stress"... and I have 7 home screens and about a dozen widgets running :)

5. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Thanks again, Chief. After testing my Droid out for 2 days with home locked in memory, it's made a HUGE difference. Only a handful of redraws.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews