• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root uggh!!! Need help!!

my phone is recognized on my computer I can download any file and place it on my card. That is how I placed unrevoked forevr and unrevoked forever son on my phone.

Oh your phone will boot? You said you couldn't access zips...any how you just need to grab the pc36img for amon ra and place it on the root of your sd card. Hboot will find it and flash your recovery. I'll link it in a sec

Upvote 0
my phone is recognized on my computer I can download any file and place it on my card. That is how I placed unrevoked forevr and unrevoked forever son on my phone.

You really should flash Amon RA 2.3 Recovery. Clockwork mod is great for getting rooted easy using unrevoked - but it isn't the most user friendly or reliable recovery to use long term.

1. Just download AmonRA 2.3 from here - http://files.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=PC36IMG.zip

2. Copy it to the ROOT of your SD Card.

3. Power your phone down.

4. Wait 10 seconds.

5. Power it back up while holding the volume down button in.

6. Your phone should find the file and prompt you to flash it automatically.

Then you should be good to go.

Jack

Upvote 0
After you flash AmonRA - you need to either delete the PC36IMG.zip file or rename it - otherwise your phone will prompt to re-flash it everytime you go into recovery.

I actually keep a copy of Clockworkmod 2.6 as well as AmonRA 2.3 on my phone at all times.

I just renamed them to -

clockworkmod26_PC36IMG.zp

and

AmonRA23_PC36IMG.zip

Jack

Upvote 0
ok so you need to rename the amon ra .zip file to PC36IMG.zip exactly. just delete the amon ra part of the file. make sure not to name it PC36IMG.zip.zip(as windows hides extensions). place that file onto the root of the sd card (not in any folder). then power off and press and hold power+vol down. it should scan it after that. hopefully that helps.

Reactions: jimcraig
Upvote 0
ok so you need to rename the amon ra .zip file to PC36IMG.zip exactly. just delete the amon ra part of the file. make sure not to name it PC36IMG.zip.zip(as windows hides extensions). place that file onto the root of the sd card (not in any folder). then power off and press and hold power+vol down. it should scan it after that. hopefully that helps.
that is what I am doing. but it says volume up to update the file volume down to not update. My volume up button is shot, does not work!

Upvote 0
no point. I shattered the screen and replaced it myself. When I replaced it I heated the housing up a bit too much and warped\melted the plastic. I have taken it apart a few times. Did so just now and to investigate the volume up button. I see that the tiny little button on the board that is activated by the soft button on the outside of the phone, is not there. The softbutton on the outside has nothing to engage. I am just perplexed as to why it was working fine after I flashed a ROM, Fresh, and then when I went to restore to a backup it wont work. It wont even let me flash a new ROM successfully. I think the problem is that PC361IMG file, but how did it get messed up to begin with? grrr

Upvote 0
that is where i got it! So I even extracted the file on the pc, renamed the .img file to PC361IMG and saved on the root. That didnt work. But I did just flash to a new ROM Froyo 4.6. And it booted up! I dont understand why some will flash & boot and some wont. I cant for the life of me get CYAN to flash. It just loops on the blue droid skateboard animated screen over and over.

Now can anyone explain how to get my contacts back on my phone? I did a wash of all that when I flashed a ROM earlier and now I need my contacts. I did do a back up of all of that in Titanium well before starting all of this.

Upvote 0
I saved it to the root as a .zip file, but again my volume up button is shot. so I tried something and unzipped on the pc and renamed the .img file & saved that to the root. No win!

I have my contacts saved to the phone because google is turned off. Way too many BS contacts in google that clog up my phone. I am restoring apps right now via Titanium, hoping I come to an option that allows me to restore contacts.

Upvote 0
I saved it to the root as a .zip file, but again my volume up button is shot. so I tried something and unzipped on the pc and renamed the .img file & saved that to the root. No win!

I have my contacts saved to the phone because google is turned off. Way too many BS contacts in google that clog up my phone. I am restoring apps right now via Titanium, hoping I come to an option that allows me to restore contacts.

You can flash a recovery without the pc36 img...do you have a recovery now?

You can flash a recovery in terminal no need to press volume

Upvote 0
I haven't read the whole thread, sounds like a case of not wiping enough. Do you still want a diff recovery? We can flash that while on your phone still in terminal emulator.

When you flash a new rom before you flash wipe boot, system, data, and cache then flash your rom.

If I'm in left field please restate what is going on

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones