• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root uggh!!! Need help!!

yeah the recovery menus were green and showed a small HTC logo on a black background. before it was a orange CWM logo with orange text.

yes I only want my contacts. either extract them or save them to google cloud.
dont think its CWM, it only listed 1 backup, and it had a strange naming. It didnt list any of the prior backups I had done, those always showed up on orange CWM recovery.

Upvote 0
Hehe, I think it kind of depends on your definition of "green". It's kind of a yellowish-green. Does it say Amon-RA at the bottom? That actually does sound like RA, then, especially if you only saw your one backup. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so you only want your contacts, right? You know for a fact that they were phone contacts, not google contacts?

Reactions: jimcraig
Upvote 0
Hehe, I think it kind of depends on your definition of "green". It's kind of a yellowish-green. Does it say Amon-RA at the bottom? That actually does sound like RA, then, especially if you only saw your one backup. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so you only want your contacts, right? You know for a fact that they were phone contacts, not google contacts?
yeah like mt dew green\yellow. chartreuse

yes my contacts were saved to phone not google. beause syncing contacts to google clogged my phone up with every tom dick & harry I ever emailed from gmail. & thats alot of tom dick & harrys (joke was intended ;) )

Upvote 0
yeah like mt dew green\yellow. chartreuse

yes my contacts were saved to phone not google. beause syncing contacts to google clogged my phone up with every tom dick & harry I ever emailed from gmail. & thats alot of tom dick & harrys (joke was intended ;) )

Okay, I'll have to figure out where contacts are stored. I'm sure we can find it. Extracting the files out of the backup is the easy part. Finding what to extract isn't always simple :). Matt, if you find it before I do, let me know. I might be away from my computer for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll have to figure out where contacts are stored. I'm sure we can find it. Extracting the files out of the backup is the easy part. Finding what to extract isn't always simple :). Matt, if you find it before I do, let me know. I might be away from my computer for a few minutes.

They are all in data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db

I think...let me make a phone contact only and see if it goes there
that would be on the phone, so after a wipe of system & data & a factory reset, its not going to be there, right? Thats what I was afraid of. but a restore point will or will not have EVERYTHING that was on the phone at time of backup? including phone #s saved to the phone at time of backup?

Upvote 0
this help? I assume its in here somewhere?

5678247262_d66a24f9e8.jpg

btw I do have other issues as well, but they are manageable. I cant get wifi to work any more, and when I connect to pc, it isnt recognized. I have to removed sd & use adapter to get anything from pc to phone.

Upvote 0
that would be on the phone, so after a wipe of system & data & a factory reset, its not going to be there, right? Thats what I was afraid of. but a restore point will or will not have EVERYTHING that was on the phone at time of backup? including phone #s saved to the phone at time of backup?

Yeah akaza wanted to know where they are exactly so we can pull them out of the data.img in your backup. He'll pop in and give you a terminal command to run to get them.

Upvote 0
Perfect. Thanks matt :). I was out for a few minutes. I figured you would probably find them before me.

Okay, so, go to this thread, and flash the zip that is at the bottom of the thread. You can flash it from recovery. Once that is done, open the terminal emulator, and run this command:

unandroid

That should give you a list of nandroid backups. Once you get that far, let me know.

Upvote 0
Okay, so, go to this thread, and flash the zip that is at the bottom of the thread. You can flash it from recovery. Once that is done, open the terminal emulator, and run this command:

unandroid

That should give you a list of nandroid backups. Once you get that far, let me know.
ok downloaded and saved to root of SD. Need to get some juice on my battery first though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones