1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

UGH!!! patience is running thin..bad battery life after update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ladyandroid, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ladyandroid

ladyandroid Newbie

My Galaxy S3-sprint just got updated to 4.1.2 and it seems to be using more battery time which means I have to recharge this battery quite often - once a day or 2. I have done everything I can to decrease the amount of battery time for example:
    - blocked notifications
    - disable blue tooth and other items that may cause it to run continuously
    - disable sync - do it manually
    - power saving - on
    - don't streamline- no music
    - clean up regularly ram and active applications
    - removed any apps don't need (just loaded about 3 game apps - that's it)
    - etc

I have another 2 weeks before I decide to return this phone for a full refund through Straight Talk. Located in North Carolina.

Any help would be appreciated. Its not unlocked or rooted.

ladyandroid - :)mad: don't feel like a lady at this point!)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Charging it once a day or two is entirely normal if you use the phone often, also you don't need to worry about the RAM, the phone can manage that it self. :)

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

It doesnt matter how many apps you have on it either.
    I think every android phone ive had, ive charged at least every night. As long as youre near a charger its cool. I doubt youl find a spartphone you dont have to charge at least every 48hours tbh :thumbup:

4. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast

Your patients are running out? Are you a doctor? What are you doing to make them run out? Or do you mean they are becoming scarce? As in they aren't coming back and you are running out of patients. Or do you mean patience? I'm betting you mean patience. Haha

jackroo likes this.
  5. arparaspolo

The beauty of this phone is the battery is removable. Buy an extended battery. I bought one that was the same physical size of the oem battery but had 900 more mah's. With heavy use, games, music, facebook, email, more games, I sometimes have to charge it mid day. But with normal use, I just plug it in when I go to bed. I also carry the oem in my pocket with me just in case. Or you can buy a giant extended battery that will last days with super heavy use.

6. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Don't be a smart butt. People mispell words all the time.

7. funkylogik

Yeah correcting spelling and grammar are pretty frowned upon on here. Not least because its an international site. Dont think it was meant in a bad way though :)

PS perfect example: ive had people from the US correct my spelling of the word "colour" lol when in reality, i think its only spelled "color" in north america :)

disc golfin and MLSS like this.
  8. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

Which brand gives you 900 more mAh but doesn't actually add any size at all? Most of the time, this isn't possible.

9. arparaspolo

funkylogik likes this.
  10. Yatezy

Yatezy Android Enthusiast

Get a battery checker like better battery stats. Have you turned off location settings? Google latitude is a massive battery drain and so is Google Now.

If you don't use them then turn them off. If you're rooted (which I doubt you are if you're thinking off returning it) then Greenify and Autostart management apps are good to stop rogue apps (read: Maps :p) from running away.

11. funkylogik

I dont recommend using power saving mode really. Its a high end phone so why throttle its power. If you dont notice the drop in performance by using it though then by all means use it :thumbup:

12. NewPepper

NewPepper Well-Known Member

Make sure nothing is running continuously in the background. I've had same issues with Gallery trying to synch with google picasa and such. Go to settings|battery and see what's running the most. You might find a hint there. Best to charge to 100% before bed, restart the phone to clear all memory and programs, and then don't touch it until morning. See what used the most battery. Could be an app or radios or something else.

13. funkylogik

Better Battery Stats is excellent for finding out what the problem is.
    Or for free, Wakelock Detector and GSam Battery Monitor. If you show us screenshots from them after a discharge (with everything activated again) we could probably help.
    Your battery life seems pretty standard/good to me though and since its got worse since your update, its probably the radio firmware causing it which is a bit harder to fix but is fixable :thumbup:

14. s3user

s3user Newbie

the battery does suck now after a 4.1.2 update...

I usually end up with 50% by the end of the day, after the update I only have like 30% at most. I'm thinking of rooting this phone now, I think 4.1.2 is a bad build because I've noticed the phone lagging/freezing a lot now.

15. funkylogik

Even without rooting you could roll it back to an older build. Honestly though, i dont mean this to be cheeky but whats wrong with just charging it every night and enjoying it in its full smartphone glory lol? My average battery life according to GSam is 7and a half hours lol (i am a VERY heavy user though and all the internet in my house comes through the phone) :)

16. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member

My battery has been getting killed since about two days ago. Ever since the phone started asking to do an update. Last night I charged it for 4 hours from 58% left and it only reached 91%.

If you look in the battery settings Google Services is running nearly 50% of the capacity. What's in Google Services?

17. s3user

s3user Newbie

Nothing wrong with charging every night, I do it every night. The problem is I do a lot of outdoor activities(biking, hiking). I'd like my phone to last the whole day, like before the update.

18. funkylogik

Yeah understood. Im guessin its the radio/modem firmware causing it man :(:beer:

19. Sharkz44

Sharkz44 Newbie

Ditto. Today was my first work day with my S3. Left fully charged and I worked the heck out this poor phone. While it was awesome for productivity (coming from an IPhone) the duration wasn't very good.

I killed the poor phone today after 5 solid hours. Running Appz, answering 70 some emails, and working on excel spreadsheets, oh with a little music in the background :rolleyes:.

So I do have to figure out a way to squeeze a few more hours out of this guy. Probably just go with a bigger or spare battery. Wondering if the S4 has a longer life?

20. funkylogik

I think the s4 has a higher capacity battery but the extra display and sensors maybe cancel that out?
    Unless battery tech takes another huge step, id say making phones more efficient is the next big thing because theyre already powerful enough to handle any app thrown at them and the display is as good as our eyes are capable of detecting.
    Think i read an interview with a dude from google saying battery life and drop-proofness are the focus of the future so maybe we should watch what Motorola come up with :)

21. Sharkz44

Sharkz44 Newbie

That's true. I wouldn't trade the S3 for anything after using it today. It was just too awesome. Productivity was thru the roof. The scary part is I haven't even rooted it yet. So I'm willing to trade the battery life for now.

22. nuttynat84

nuttynat84 Member

I have noticed some days, Samsung Link uses A LOT of power...today it is at 42% and screen (which is usually at the top) is at 16%...what am I missing?? Some days Samsung Link isn't even there, and I have not done anything different today with my phone??

23. ladyandroid

ladyandroid Newbie

I want to thank everyone for your comments. I have not logged in since my initial post and did not realize there were so many responses.

I have decided to not keep the S3 and returned it for a full refund. I hardly used the phone during the day and had it on standby and still found that battery was draining due to google or/and Samsung apps constantly running. I have a problem paying $470.00 for a phone for Google and Samsung to be using and draining the battery when I am NOT. I actually reset the phone to default settings and did NOT add any apps and still the battery was draining 10 - 15% every hour without me using it. So I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy Express (50% less cost than the S3). Thanks again for all your comments (except the patients vs patience). I will also try to look into an extended battery as well.
    ladyandroid - feeling like a lady today!

24. ladyandroid

ladyandroid Newbie

patience vs patients

Definition: Patience

Good-natured tolerance of delay or incompetence

Examples

A teacher must have a lot of patience with the pupils.

Definition: Patients

A person who requires medical care

Examples

The number of emergency patients has grown rapidly

Just an FYI

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews