1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Ugh... what to do...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JasonPurp, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JasonPurp

JasonPurp Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    I think I've made thousands of threads like this, but tomorrow is the moment of truth:
    Do I buy the Bionic tomorrow at full retail price, or wait for the Galaxy Nexus (Nexus Prime) and buy THAT at full retail price? I like Motoblur a lot, but according to a recent post on DroidLife, the new Android version, ICS, seems pretty awesome. And Motoblur probably won't do a good job at keeping up with the awesomeness (even though I DO like Motoblur).

What do? PLEASE REPLY.

Advertisement

2. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Ugh! I hate retail price...haha. :p (quote by Grouchy smurf)

Do you really have to buy a phone a retail price? If you do, I think you can still sell the Bionic at a reasonable price to put towards the Prime. I think the value of the Bionic just went up with the recent Development progress. :D

I don't think the Bionic will have any problems with ICS. I'm sure with the acquistion of Moto Mobility by Google, the new Moto UI will be fine running ICS.

3. JasonPurp

JasonPurp Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Yep, retail price is my only option until 2013 :/

It's not that I think Motoblur will have problems, it's that I don't think it will look as good as stocks supposed to. Apparently the UI is supposed to look more glassy and stuff, and I don't see Motoblur going in that direction. Of course there will be CM7 soon though, so maybe I should just pull the trigger and get the Bionic?

4. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL
    I find that when I make threads like this I've already made up my mind. Im just looking for somone to agree with me so I feel like I'm making the right decision.

Sounds to me like you want the Bionic. Go buy it. Get the costco bundle, sell it for $600 when the prime comes out.

Edit: forget the part about the costco bundle. That is only for upgrades/new contracts.

That makes your decision a littler harder, but I still say buy it. If the prime comes out as rumored you can sell it in a month and probably get 80% of your money back if not more. And if it doesn't come out till christmas, then you get a Bionic to hold you over :)

5. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    I would wait for the Prime, but that's just me. Which phone do you currently have?

If you have a capable smartphone already, I would wait. If you have a feature phone or something, then I would buy the Bionic and flip it for the Prime when that comes out.

I just have a hunch that the Prime is going to be an amazing phone. Couple that with the awesome screen that it will probably have and you won't lose.

Good luck!

xmr405o likes this.
  6. briand515

briand515 Member
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    If you're paying full price I'd probably wait for the Prime.

7. JasonPurp

JasonPurp Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Yikes, the Vigor is coming out in October...

But still, if I can't have stock, I want Motoblur. It looks a LOT nicer than Vanilla (maybe until ICS, in which case I will slap on CM7). So I guess I will buy it tomorrow.

Besides, there's always the 14 day return policy.

8. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    So Cal
    I was also thinking I'd have to pay full retail when I had an interesting discussion with a vzw rep (and we all know they are always right :rolleyes: ).
    Seems you may be able to add a line to your existing account for $10/mo and get the reduced price on the Bionic on that new line. Then activate that phone on your old line so you have the same old number. If you can pull this off at Costco.. the savings is well worth it.

I think retail is $589
    Costco would be $279 +$240 ($10/mo x 24 mo contract for extra line) = $519.00 and you get all the free stuff.

Not sure that would work, but might be very worth the effort if it does.

9. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL
    Not 100% about this, but I think part of your contract is that you must have a phone tied the account. If he has a dumb phone lying around that is a possibility I suppose.

10. JasonPurp

JasonPurp Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    That sounds very confusing lol. I have a Droid Incredible 2, but I'm not looking to add any lines for extra money :O