1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Uh oh..VM to start throttling back to 2G..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by masterchief3k, Mar 14, 2014.

1. masterchief3k

masterchief3k Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2013
    I got a text that VM will start throttling data back to 2G after 2.5 GB...Somehow with my new F3, LTE has been unlimited, I used the cap on purpose with the Evo V I had, and then my F3 came. I was throttled on LTE only on two short instances, but after rooting and installing wifi tether, my data is maximum speed, and i've downloaded a LOT of steam games... Taking advantage while I can.

This is a bad change. I figure they think it's okay because T-Mobile does it or something. :mad: I just hope LTE stays unaffected..

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    All carriers are making 2 changes we're going to have to get used to - no more unlimited data and no more free tethering. They're lowering the admission price but jacking up the prices at the candy counter.

3. masterchief3k

masterchief3k Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2013
    Unlimited data is staying around, but ISPs are trying to put ridiculous data caps in a world where the internet is more and more necessary.

4. neoison

neoison Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2014
    call and complain to Virgin Mobile about how you can not use your phone after the cap. That 30 to 40kbps is not even dial up internet speeds.. Every time I call they transfer me to tier 2 tech support and reset my data cap.. Every time. Or give me a free month of service when I say I should just cancel.. :p Give it a try.

They will only do what we allow them to. Screw with us and we will do a little back.. :)

5. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2012
    Male
    I dont see the issue . I guess I use mine less than other people. I stream pandora and browse the web and facebook all day everyday and have never met my cap. I came within 200 mb once but it was the day before my month started over. If you are tethering and downloading stuff then yeah you are going to get capped. But this is not new information this has been the case for over a year i think.

6. neoison

neoison Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2014
    Its actually very easy to go over your cap.. Try watching 4 music videos and having a wife that flips through Facebook for 2hrs a day.. She can burn through 2.5gbs of data in 3 days. Because VM 2.5gb speed is 8.5mbps at first. The Youtube videos default at 1080p HD.. Each is about 200mb+. When the data was middle of the road constant speed like before. They would default in ~40mb SD quality. Just stupid to have the conversation. In 10-20yrs data won't even be a consideration.

7. Kasenomateru

Kasenomateru Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    I'm glad that I have wifi in my house and signed into optimum wifi when I go out.

8. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2012
    Male
    Well maybe i am different . My wife has a vm phone my teenage son has a vm phone and so do I . None of us go over our limit EVER.... I stream high quality pandora all day every day too.