• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UK "beef" scandal? Cow vs horse lol

There's a local butcher here who sells some really good meet. The problem is that, price wise, it's sometimes 2 to 3x the cost of the stuff you can buy at the local grocery store. The grocery store stuff is not as good quality, but it's cheaper and it keeps body and soul together and you can stay healthy eating it. So the local butcher is a niche business these days.

You are right, it is costly. Good beef simply costs more money. For example, compare the cost of USDA Prime to USDA Choice. Unfortunately, Prime is scarce. Something like less than 2% of all beef stamped/inspected by the USDA will get to be called Prime.

I like it, but it is hard to find, so I go with Choice, which can be very good beef as well.

What scares me is run of the mill hamburger. The meat can come from many different animals, which is why I spend a little more and watch it being ground from one cut of beef.

some of us just butcher our own..... then we know what we are eating

guess I shouldnt say that out loud..... next the democrats will be screaming its a RIGHT for every citizen to be given pigs and cows by the government

Ahhhhh, I smell free government cheese is due to make a comeback.

Do not worry, we will not be given livestock. Where will we put it and why would the democrats want more animals, with all that global warming and such. Gore would explode.

If I remember correctly the FDA does regulate exactly what can be labeled as organic and what can't.

USDA, not FDA.

No shortage of stories about fraud in the organic food biz. Target comes to mind. I seem to recall a local seller of produce that repackaged food he/she bought from Mexico.

You just do not know for sure what is up with our food.

Yeah i understand. If things are being declared as beef and theyre something else then what else are we being lied to about?
I dread to think what some sausages are lol

Well, in most brands, I think it is a little piggy, lots of fat, too much salt, gristle, sawdust for filler, steroids and coal tar derivatives. And FD&C Pig Dye #45

In thinking about this, one almost sure fire way to know what is and is not in your food is to eat legitimately Kosher. The rules (Kasrut laws) are truly strict when it comes to what is/is not in your food.

Upvote 0
USDA, not FDA.

No shortage of stories about fraud in the organic food biz. Target comes to mind. I seem to recall a local seller of produce that repackaged food he/she bought from Mexico.

You just do not know for sure what is up with our food.

To be honest, as long as the food supply is safe (which it is) personally I don't care and I don't think most Americans do either. There are laws on what specifically can be labeled organic. I have no doubt there's fraudulent products that really aren't "organic". Honestly I don't care since organic food is such a huge waste any way. Suckers are born every minute though. The gluten free thing really cracks me up since you see it attached to products that you can't make with gluten if you wanted to and celiac disease affects like 5% of the population. It's pure silliness.

Upvote 0
I think they are chopped, formed or extruded chicken-ish like materials, aren't they?

I once loved the McNugget. Part of America. Now I cut up chicken parts and make my own.

Yeah the process is pretty nasty. There was a guy who would show the process to European kids and they would never eat mcnuggets again. He'd show it to American kids and they'd be like "so what"

*think this is it http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S9B7im8aQjo&desktop_uri=/watch?v=S9B7im8aQjo

Upvote 0
Yeah the process is pretty nasty. There was a guy who would show the process to European kids and they would never eat mcnuggets again. He'd show it to American kids and they'd be like "so what"

*think this is it YouTube

I think "so what" now. Many people here do their own slaughtering and butchering. Sometimes there's no choice, if there's no supermarkets around.

Upvote 0
I think "so what" now. Many people here do their own slaughtering and butchering. Sometimes there's no choice, if there's no supermarkets around.
When I lived on the farm, I ate some of the most delicious meat (and could have steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I wanted) because my family split a cow with a neighbor every year. There was a butcher in town who did all the dirty work, and kept the frozen filets in a big freezer so we didn't have to try to keep hundreds of pounds of beef at home.

I don't get why people get so freaked out. We all must eat if we want to live, and lots of the process isn't pretty. I'll bet that starving to death isn't very glamorous either.

Upvote 0
Yeah but do you grind up all the spare parts (pink paste), drench it in ammonia then add artificial flavoring to make them taste good and coloring to cover your tracks? Doubt it

Not sure the ammonia makes a difference. The point is it is safe; the sad name seems to freak people out. I assume you are talking about pink slime?

Maraschino cherries, olives and bagels are often treated with drain opener (Lye) so do not fret about the pink slime.

When I cut meat, I am sloppy and not at all very pro butcher like. I know my burger is all beef and all that goes into it it is cow.

*think this is it YouTube

I have a friend who put off fish for some time because he watched someone clean one. Visit an egg processor or a slaughterhouse and you might think vegetarian. People want to eat but they do not want to see where their beef comes from.

Upvote 0
I have a friend who put off fish for some time because he watched someone clean one. Visit an egg processor or a slaughterhouse and you might think vegetarian. People want to eat but they do not want to see where their beef comes from.

Seems to me that they often don't care either, as long as it's conveniently packaged up and nicely presented on the shelves and freezers of Tesco, Asda(Wal*Mart), Sainsbury's, Lidl or Aldi.

Some of the best beef, lamb, mutton, pork, chicken, etc, I've ever tasted has been here in rural China, and it didn't come from a supermarket. Here in Inner Mongolia we also frequently eat donkey meat and camel, and very tasty it is as well. However we don't eat horse meat here, because horses are something special to Mongolians and are part of the culture.

Upvote 0
Let us pause to remember where beef comes from:

Eat-Mor-Chikin-photo2.png

Upvote 0
When I lived on the farm, I ate some of the most delicious meat (and could have steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I wanted) because my family split a cow with a neighbor every year. There was a butcher in town who did all the dirty work, and kept the frozen filets in a big freezer so we didn't have to try to keep hundreds of pounds of beef at home.

When I was staying in a remote part of western Hubei Province last year, many people in the village would trade each other. Although it's mainly swine and poultry in that region, rather than cattle.

I don't get why people get so freaked out. We all must eat if we want to live, and lots of the process isn't pretty. I'll bet that starving to death isn't very glamorous either.

You're right.

Upvote 0
After discussing with the other mods we feel the original reason for the move was handled in a very decent respectful manner. I had moved the thread in anticipation of any future issue instead of relying on our members to treat it in the same manner as before and for that I heartily apologize, my intentions were good but unnecessary at the moment.

Now returning to the Lounge!

Upvote 0
They use to serve horse meat to us at one of the bases I was stationed at many moons ago, and I loved it.

Horse meat is good, I've had it in Guangdong and Hunan Province, very lean, no fat at all. But the thing is you know it's horse meat, and not trying to pass it off as beef. Like what was apparently happening with processed beef and ready-meals in the EU

We don't eat horse in Inner Mongolia though, here it's mostly mutton and beef that are the mainstays of local cuisine. And we know it's mutton and beef as well, basically because it didn't come from a supermarket. It's usually solid, nothing added, was produced locally by family business' or local farms, and no ready-meals and/or TV dinners.. :)

Upvote 0
Some of the best beef, lamb, mutton, pork, chicken, etc, I've ever tasted has been here in rural China, and it didn't come from a supermarket. Here in Inner Mongolia we also frequently eat donkey meat and camel, and very tasty it is as well. However we don't eat horse meat here, because horses are something special to Mongolians and are part of the culture.

You do not see much mutton here in the U.S. of A. At least not on the menu. I am waiting for McDonalds to release Mutton McNuggets. Never tried camel, but I do like goat.

Say, do you boil or broil the humps? I'll bet they are self-basting.

No horse meat for me, however. Not enough fat and fat is goooooood!

Upvote 0
You do not see much mutton here in the U.S. of A. At least not on the menu.

Don't think you see mutton on the menu in the UK either. I've never seen it there. Probably some law about it. Just allowed sell lamb for human consumption, and that's it.

EDIT...

Apparently you can buy mutton in the UK. I just checked, Tesco and Asda(Wal*Mart) have it. Well I hope it's mutton, and not mislabelled horse meat. :rolleyes:

I am waiting for McDonalds to release Mutton McNuggets. Never tried camel, but I do like goat.

Say, do you boil or broil the humps? I'll bet they are self-basting.

Fried actually. Usually breaded or in a fritter type thing. It's not the humps*though, because I think that would be mostly fat.

No horse meat for me, however. Not enough fat and fat is goooooood!

* Mongolian Bactrian have two humps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones