• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

pagdodd

Apr 6, 2010
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a car charger for my A500?

I have seen loads on universal adapters etc but without trying them out it is impossible to know which one has the correct fitting etc...

I have searched around the forum but can't seem to find any answers that point to a UK website/seller

12v 1.5 Amp power adapters are fairly easy to find. The tricky part is to find the correct tip. Some people on forums claim that a standard G type plug is a close fit, but I've looked in electronics stores and couldn't find a plug to fit.

So I think if I really needed a charger to use in the car I would cut the end off the Acer charger and put a plug on the other end. Then I'd put a matching socket on the end of the cable coming from each of my chargers.
That way I would just have one tip that I know works and swap it to any of my chargers.

I might also make up an extension cable 1.5m long with a plug on one end and a socket on the other to make the AC charger lead longer.

But so far I haven't really needed a car charger.
If you do this just keep in mind the polarity, the central connector is positive and the outer is ground.

Reactions: pagdodd
Upvote 0
You need a charger that puts out 12 volts and a current of 1-2 Amps (The standard AC charger is 1.5 A)

Phone chargers are usually lower voltage 3.5V or 5V so they won't be any good to you.

The tablet uses a lot of power so it needs a higher voltage to charge up or maintain charge.

But fortunately they make cigarette lighter power adapters for portable DVD players and other 12V devices, so they are fairly easy to get hold of.

Upvote 0
You need a charger that puts out 12 volts and a current of 1-2 Amps (The standard AC charger is 1.5 A)

Phone chargers are usually lower voltage 3.5V or 5V so they won't be any good to you.

The tablet uses a lot of power so it needs a higher voltage to charge up or maintain charge.

But fortunately they make cigarette lighter power adapters for portable DVD players and other 12V devices, so they are fairly easy to get hold of.

again, thank you. :)

Upvote 0
Something like this?
Universal Car adapter 1500ma charger cigarette lighter fitting : Power adapter | Charger

or
you could get a power inverter which converts your car's 12v up to 220V and then use the standard AC adapter to convert it back to 12 V. It might seem a bit silly but it may be the easiest option to avoid cutting and splicing cables.

These power inverters usually have a little fan for cooling the electronics but these low power ones should be fairly quiet (but they are no good for running a fridge or big tv).
The Acer A500 wants 18Watts so the one below is plenty big enough
75W DC12V to AC220V Car Power Inverter (Black) ERH95B - $12.35 - Affordable Car Inverter

Upvote 0
Would this be any good?
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Looks OK. It's just a bit confusing where the description says
This brand new top quality 9V Car charger

Nice find Ted!
Wonder why only Acer UK/Ireland has this, lots of A500 owners all over the world want one

Upvote 0
I made my own car charger since none were available when I bought my tab. I use it in my truck as gps with co pilot. I ordered the AC adaptor from Acer and cut the end off. Went to the Radio Shack store and bought a 12 volt 2 amp regulated cigarette lighter plug and soldered them together. It works great and doesn't over charge battery. I think I may have about $15 U.S. in it. The springy cord makes the short stock cord obsolete. Haven't used the factory cord since making the new one. I have a 12 volt power supply at the house I can plug it into or use the factory plug. The plug the goes into the side is Acer exclusive. They have them specialy made so no one can copy them. I have tried EVERY size and type after market tip to make sure.

Upvote 0
Hope it's ok to post links to amz here? Dunno (but no affiliate BS)

You should not get an A500 specific adapter, that's a waste.
Get a multi-tip adapter so you can power other devices from it in future.
I saw discussion of this on in other forums with comments at AMZ (US) stating it works fine with A500.

I've ordered one but cannot confirm yet, it's still in transit.
The key is to get something that puts out MORE than 1500ma, so 2000ma is fine.
You cannot send too much power to your device, it will pull what it needs, but the voltage must be 12V.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042X8XOQ

Upvote 0
Hope it's ok to post links to amz here? Dunno (but no affiliate BS)

You should not get an A500 specific adapter, that's a waste.
Get a multi-tip adapter so you can power other devices from it in future.
I saw discussion of this on in other forums with comments at AMZ (US) stating it works fine with A500.

I've ordered one but cannot confirm yet, it's still in transit.
The key is to get something that puts out MORE than 1500ma, so 2000ma is fine.
You cannot send too much power to your device, it will pull what it needs, but the voltage must be 12V.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042X8XOQ

Can you please tell me if this worked for you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones