1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General UK Keyboard changes in Password Field

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tel911, Mar 19, 2016.

1. tel911

tel911 Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2012
    I have tried this on 2 S7 Edge phones with the same result.
    when I try to log in to any account or site with the Samsung English(UK) keyboard the symbols available change when moving from a Username field to a password field i.e when you select "Symbols" from the keyboard in a username field there are 2 pages of symbols available but if you move to a password field there is only 1 page available, this is not a problem until you try to enter a password containing one of the missing symbols, Unfortunately for me this happens to be the "£" symbol (on a UK keyboard ???).
    I contacted Samsung Support and while I waited for a reply I actually managed to find it in the end hidden under a long press on the "." key
    when Support replied they suggested that I go into application manager and delete date and cache, in Application manager you need to select "More" at the top of the screen and select "show system apps" or you will not find the Samsung keyboard app. after following the instructions even the long press on "." would not reveal a"£" symbol. so I contacted support again and while I waited I installed Swiftkey Keyboard.
    Samsung have now replied and suggested that the only way forward is for them to remotely access my phone and tinker with it,
    As this problem is not isolated to my phone I am not happy to let them do this.
    I have now found that going into settings directly from the keyboard and resetting settings returns the "£" symbol to the long press on "." so I will just have to live with it.
    it would be interesting to know how many other people are affected by this strange keyboard behaviour.

Advertisement

2. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    I would just keep on using Swiftkey as your kb replacement and not worry about it.

It's vastly superior to the stock kb in pretty much every department anyway.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.