1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Uk S3 4g?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rowlers, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rowlers

rowlers Android Enthusiast

Just seen the announcement of everything everywhere bringing 4g to the uk beginning October. Are our UK international S3s goi g to be compatible? I'm on T-Mobile so fingers crossed a firmware update is all that would be needed!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert

No they won't, they don't have the correct radios inside to pick up 4G

I stand corrected

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Really? We can't even do 3G well. 3G would be enough, if it were consistent.

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

I hve an international one and when I go into test mode I can select radio band.

It also shows LTE/ CDMA/ xEVDO as well as LTE/GSM/WCDMA, no idea if it has the hardware to use it, though. Supposed to be a world phone.

LTE is 4G so?

5. matttye

matttye Android Expert

I get hspa nearly everywhere these days on O2. There are still a few places where I get no signal whatsoever though :(

I live in a small city and hspa+ covers nearly all of it.

I used to be on orange and they were even better for 3g! They just had a rubbish voice network and for some reason texts weren't delivered for hours half the time! I paid off my contract with them early..

They wouldn't cancel my contract early even though I told them I wasn't getting the advertised "excellent coverage" according to their coverage map and couldn't use the service I was paying for!

6. rowlers

Yeh, H+ is well fast enough for me. When I can get it!

7. rowlers

How you get into test mode? Can't remember lol!

8. SUroot

Yes I know your city. Mr Lindum

9. barryl85

barryl85 Well-Known Member

I'm with Vodafone UK live very near and work in Glasgow, I have seen 3G flash up maybe 4 times.

My connection goes between H and H+

Pathetic.

10. abevuk

abevuk Newbie

Barry,

I could be wrong but I believe your getting better than 3G by having H or H+ show up....

barryl85 likes this.
  11. rowlers

H & H+ is MUCH faster than 3g. H+ when I get it is actually faster than my wifi at home!

loulou and barryl85 like this.
  12. barryl85

barryl85 Well-Known Member

Nice :)

I didn't know that, i thought 3G was the fastest !!

13. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert

Even if that's true, before getting good coverage for 4G it's gonna take long, a waste of money for those who want to pay for the service. I'd wait for the coverage to be better set, although I don't even feel the need of having 4G.

14. Max_Headroom

Max_Headroom Well-Known Member

I get E which is crap , I was in a motorway services the other day and got H+ and it was very fast

15. SUroot

I'm on 3 UK. I notice no difference between H and H+

16. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

Phone>*#*#4636#*#*

rowlers likes this.
  17. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

international s3 has lte radio stack using pre agreed EU frequencies

18. DaveL83

DaveL83 Lurker

Is that a good or bad thing?!

19. Max_Headroom

20. happyarthur79

happyarthur79 Member

I would also be interested to know if our UK S3's are ready for 4G.
    Going slightly off topic but I can only access the Internet on my S3 when I have h+ showing - I get nothing at all when connected via 3G, G or E - has anyone else experienced this?

21. Max_Headroom

I am sure i have read in the forum that they are not.

I get the E symbol at work which i believe is EDGE and the G at home, the internet works on both fine but obviously slow.

I started to use Dolphin browser today and have disabled pictures loading unless i am on WiFi, this has speeded page loading up when using mobile data as my connection a lot especially on forums with lots of avatars.

22. matttye

matttye Android Expert

The new iPhone is being announced the day after EE is allowed to turn on its' 4G network.

Pretty big coincidence.

23. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

lte is 4g these are enabled for lte. it depends what frequencies the carriers use but they will all have to agree on a particular band or you will have major phone incompatibilities across the board. this will annoy hardware manufacturers where you will end up with exclusive devices to the us and EU as uk cannot make an agreement

24. kkudi

kkudi Member

I'm kind of with you. When I have H and H+ things are really really fast.

When I have E, G or 3G nothing works either.

I'm on Vodafone UK. It's really pissing me off. I had a Nexus One with Tmobile and I've never had such problems. Edge would be slower but still bearable for things like Whatsapp/Email/Facebook.

None of these work unless I'm on H/H+.

25. Cheng8

Cheng8 Member

Im on o2, I hope they will step their game up and the 4G too.

At home I get H, but it dosent really matter as im on wifi anyways. 3 in my area are shite, same thing with my bros android tab on T-mobile.

Lets hope 4g will work on our international version, that would be good :)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews