• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UK Sim only deals

daniel_

Lurker
Mar 1, 2010
To be honest, getting a bit fed up of waiting for the nexus to come to the UK. Think I have decided a nexus over a desire.

For the UK users with a nexus, what contracts are you on? It's very hard to go through all the networks and compare all their tariffs..

So what is the monthly cost/length of contract/data allowance of your sim only deals? Presume no-one is going pay as you go?

Anyone use cashback sites for their contracts?

I'm on a rolling monthly contract with o2 - if you go get one online, you can get the online 20 deal that comes with 700 anytime, any network minutes, 1400 texts and unlimited web bolt on.

Would have gone for the fixed-length contract as I'd have been eligible for upgrade after a certain amount of time, but am moving house shortly, so want to make sure I'm on a provider that has signal wherever I move to.

Lodger's idea about getting a bunch of free sims for different providers to check signal is great. O2 profess to have HSDPA coverage where I live, but I'm lucky to get Edge... though may be due to 20+ years of lead-based paint on the walls ;)

Upvote 0
I'm on the same as oniongirl, and O2 are the only UK provider who is close to offering truly unlimited data bundle... I still found the limit though, managed 1.5GB in 3 days offlining Spotify on my iphone with 3G unrestrictor :) got a warning message in the post and everything.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Bingo.

About the 4th retentions guy to call managed to offer that, everyone else just came back with stuff from the website that anyone can get.

:eek: Bargain!

So, conclusion for the OP: ring whoever you're with at the moment saying how you really don't want to leave, but can't afford to stay and cross your fingers. And if that fails, try again the next day. And the next....

Upvote 0
That's a fantastic deal!
What's t-mo like in terms of data speeds?

I'd agree about getting the PAC code - my friend was about to hand over her credit card in a shop on Saturday, was on the phone to 3 to get hers and they offered her a great deal better than any retentions phone call had done for the previous two weeks..

HSDPA on my Hero I get 1.8mb DL and about 500kbps UL. Which is great.

Doubt if youre a new customer you'd get the deal but definitely worth a go. I tried to get the same deal for my GF and they wouldnt have it even though she was with them as long as I was. Best they could do was

Upvote 0
Now on Vodaphone 12 month sim only, 900 mins, Unlimited texts & web.
Originally the website said web was 500Mb, however all paperwork I've had since has said unlimited, with a fair usage policy of 500Mb which is exactly the same as O2's fair usage on the unlimited data package I had on my iPhone.
Signed up via Quidco as they were offering

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones