• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UK TrainTimes App.

Thanks Darren, saw your post, downloaded the beast, up she comes running & shows local station departures just-like-that! Neat, nice work, keep it up.

One minor query - you talk above about version 2.8 etc etc but Android reports mine as "Version 14".. are these numbers related at all??

Cheers!

Lodger

not really/ but yes.

When I'm developing I have to set 2 values for Android Market to allow me to upload

android:versionCode="14"
android:versionName="2.8"

Which I think is totally stupid, but hay, that's the way it is.

I guess i could have them both at 14, but I like subversions, and then main version when there are big changes,

So a bug fix would goto V2.9,
whereas a new feature would go to V3
But, android:versionCode has to be a single numer, 1,2,3,4 no decimals....
maybe in the next version I will bring these In line.

Thanks
Darren.

Upvote 0
Thanks Darren...

btw I saw this ....
UK Trains
so depending on how you get the data there could be a problem winging it's way (which would be a real shame...). Hope it keeps going with no interference....

Good luck & good work!!

Cheers!

Lodger

I don't directly use their server resources. So should be fine.

Upvote 0
New version available with new option menu:
-Startup Screen Option (Journey Planner or TrainTimes)

Hi Rodhill,

Thanks for your feedback,

I will be working on a full options menu in the next week, released by Monday, where you can set:
-Font Colours
-Background Colours
-Font Size
-Startup Screen (Journey Planner or TrainTimes)
-Delete All Favourites

I am trying to do less releases from now on, because the more changes I make, the more times people have to download updates, and the more bugs I could introduce. So Now most the basic features are there, I will be running a slower release program, to get changes/fixes out more fully.

Thanks
Darren.

Upvote 0
some nice updates, would it be possible when using the journey planner to be told which services you will be taking.

for example i type in london to luton, it brings up 3 different train times, however it doesnt say which station i will be travelling from or with which operator.

will be working on journey planner at the weekend

Thanks
Darren

Upvote 0
Just dled - not bad. Certainly seems faster and smoother than the official app so I'll carry on using it I think.

One question, one request.

Question: Someone noted that...
Thanks Darren, saw your post, downloaded the beast, up she comes running & shows local station departures just-like-that! Neat, nice work, keep it up.

How do I get it to do this? I always get the train company/station popup when I load up the app. I changed the start up screen to Train Times but it does not seem to happen. I'm almost certain I'm missing something blindingly obvious rather than it being a bug.

The request:
One day in the far far future, when you're happy with the app... could you add a widget to it detailing e.g. the next 2 or 3 trains from a particular station to another station (perhaps swapping around at some predetermined time). This would be incredibly handy for at a glance look at when the next trains are for commuters such as myself. I realise that its early days yet so wont be expected anything soon but it would be good in the long run. The official widget is an absolute joke with FCs and entire phone (Hero) hangs, so there is a big gap here.

Upvote 0
Just dled - not bad. Certainly seems faster and smoother than the official app so I'll carry on using it I think.

One question, one request.

Question: Someone noted that...

How do I get it to do this? I always get the train company/station popup when I load up the app. I changed the start up screen to Train Times but it does not seem to happen. I'm almost certain I'm missing something blindingly obvious rather than it being a bug.

The request:
One day in the far far future, when you're happy with the app... could you add a widget to it detailing e.g. the next 2 or 3 trains from a particular station to another station (perhaps swapping around at some predetermined time). This would be incredibly handy for at a glance look at when the next trains are for commuters such as myself. I realise that its early days yet so wont be expected anything soon but it would be good in the long run. The official widget is an absolute joke with FCs and entire phone (Hero) hangs, so there is a big gap here.

I'm guessing the person is saving favourite station.. to get it quickly.

Not sure about a widget, will look at that maybe in the future.

Darren

Upvote 0
Was using the National Rail app and have bought yours to see what it was like in comparison.

Yours is very good, but the feature that is missing compared to the National Rail one is the option to have favourite journeys as well as stations, which I use because not all the trains stop in my hometown station.

That is coming over the weekend, the journey planner is a very new feature, and is only in its beginning stages.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say thanks. I don't buy many apps and even though the ad supported one is great and the ads don't bother me I thought I owed it to you to effectively buy you a beer and hence I bought it. Keep up the good work, the amount of time you are putting in to this project and the amount of updates is awesome.

Thanks for your support!
This app is just a hobby for me, so beer money is always a help :p

Will hopefully be adding a full menu to make the UI better, and some kind of location based stuff soon.

Thanks
Darren

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones