1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

UK Users, why wait for 4.0.4?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wilkas, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Wilkas

Wilkas Android Enthusiast

Just installed the latest update with Sense 4.1 and it is lightening quick now, really didn't think the phone could be improved much until JB drops but honestly it is well worth downloading instead of waiting around for the update to come.

Download

The above link is where I downloaded it, as far as I can gather you can only do this on an unbranded and unrooted handset. Open it up once it has done then hook up your phone to the PC and Bob's your uncle..

You lose your contacts and apps, but I didn't lose my pics, videos or music... would back them up anyway just to be on the safe side... with the myphoneexplorer app it took me 10mins to get the phone back to the way I had it before but honestly, HTC have really smartened up the phone.. Gallery is so unbelievably quick now, camera seems a little quicker to graft, browser is tons quicker and works better, music player seems to sound even better now and that is the things I have noticed in 30mins since installing.

Thanks to Anonimouse and a couple of other posters who made me aware of updating like this, never waiting around again for an update.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you can get rid of the annoying black bar at the bottom.. it actually has the effect of making you feel your phone has grew longer :D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ironclad

Ironclad Well-Known Member

I assume I can back up my contacts, Apps etc.. install this thing.. the perform a wajimmacallit to restore my stuff?
    Is this link safe?

3. Wilkas

Totally safe, I'm running it now. I don't use HTC Sync so I used another programme to back mine up, just use the one you normally do.

I didn't bother backing up my apps, kind of wish I had cos I didn't realise how many I'd installed until having to put them back on lol

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Don't they redownload once you link back to your Gmail account? Mine do when I switch ROMs.

Also worth taking a look at Astro File Manager as it backs up non paid apps (no data though) and My Backup Pro does too.

5. Ziani

Ziani Android Expert

What version is this....thought 4.1 was JB?

6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

No, I think JB is going to be Android version 4.1. This update updates the HTC Sense version from 4.0 to 4.1 and the Android version from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4..

Ziani likes this.
  7. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

You can use adb backup to keep all your stuff.

Or if you're unlocked, you could just flash system and boot, this wont update the radio or HBOOT though.

8. Ziani

Ziani Android Expert

hmm....don't know whether to go for it or just wait lol.

9. thicks56

thicks56 Android Enthusiast

im not sure whether or not to go for this as well,

Im hoping that this update might solve some of the problems that im having on my phone so the sooner i get it the better.

10. Mr roley mole

Mr roley mole Newbie

Went for it this morning what a relief to not have to wait worked brilliantly and I'm seeing vast improvements only 10 minutes after use. Highly recommend anyone waiting for the update to just take the leap and update now.

11. jimbobcook

jimbobcook Well-Known Member

So all you lose is contacts and messages etc? I'd love to get this update... the update button is getting a pasting recently lol just seems less effort to just wait...:-\

12. Ziani

Ziani Android Expert

Will this effect up and coming updates or will I still get those OTA as usual?

13. El Presidente

VIP Member

You can backup contacts to your Gmail account and there are apps you can backup your text messages with too.

This shouldn't have an impact on future OTAs either.

14. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert

I have updated my phone this way the last 3 times now & its a lot less painful than waiting for the OTA.
    I will say the safest way to use the RUU is to use a laptop if you have one, this gives you a safety net of the laptop battery in case you get a power cut.

I did update mine using a normal pc as i haven't got a laptop.

15. Wilkas

Had nearly a full day with the phone and even the battery has massively improved, really impressive update by HTC... feels like the brakes have been taken off.

I was a bit worried about doing it too, it's so simple though once you take the leap but I definitely understand people just wanting to wait.

16. jimbobcook

I'm going for it... wish me luck lol

17. jimbobcook

I'm back and all is well :) I suggest giving it a try lol

18. benitorios

benitorios Member

Quick question to those who have updated already:

Does the performance improvement also show in third-party launchers like Apex or Nova? From reading up on the update, it looks like Sense itself is greatly improved, but I'm wondering about other launchers (I'm using Apex).

Thanks!

19. El Presidente

VIP Member

It should do. It did in the custom ROM I used based on the same software base and using Apex.

20. jimbobcook

Morning all :)

I know I've only had the new rom for just a night now and now everything is back on, hate to be the kill joy but my is just acting like it's been formatted... Which it has :-\ don't really notice anything else...

Please don't shoot me lol

21. thicks56

Ok im very tempted to install this update manually to see if it solves the issues ive been having with my phone,

I have one question though, If I update it and then still have to send it to HTC are HTC going to have a issue that my phone has an update that they haven't officially rolled out to my handset yet?

22. coos lick

coos lick Android Enthusiast

The RUU is official HTC software (albeit leaked). You can install it on a stock, unbranded phone without rooting or unlocking, so no - you should have no warranty issues.

23. thicks56

Update installed last night and am very impressed so far,

Phone it alot quicker and doesnt seem to be heating up as much,
    not really had chance to check any of the other things,

Tried plugging it into PC's to see if it crashes and seems fine up to now, so fingers crossed its solved that issue.
    Not holding my breath though as the it was fine after the factory reset for a few weeks and then came back.

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews