1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

UK vs US version

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Acerexx, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Acerexx

Acerexx Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    If I were able to obtain a UK version of the S9+ would I be able to use it in the US on AT&T? Having a hard time finding any information on this. Interested in getting one with the Exynos 8910 processor and better onboard storage.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You'd certainly be able to use it. Whether it would be compatible with all ATT LTE bands I'm not sure: I've not yet found a full list of the different versions' LTE bands, but last year's global S8+ variant is compatible with 4 out of 5 ATT bands (based on a little web research).

To be honest I'd wait for more evaluation of the two variants' real-world performances, and especially with final release firmware rather than pre-release. I know there's an internet myth that the Exynos is always "better", but in practise it's more nuanced, depends on what aspects of performance matter to you, and varies year by year. For example this preliminary test shows very good single-core performance but is noticably weaker than the S845 in more realistic applications:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12478/exynos-9810-handson-awkward-first-results. If you run power-hungry apps (such as games) for any length of time then how sustainable the performance is is also important (i.e. it's no good being blazing fast in a two minute benchmark if it throttles after 4 minutes), and at this point in time I don't think we have the information to do a meaningful comparison of the two versions.

3. Acerexx

Acerexx Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    Tyvm for the info, that's very helpful!

4. terrinyankee

terrinyankee Lurker
    None

Mar 2, 2018