1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ultimate Android tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GTbrewer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. GTbrewer

GTbrewer Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    WAS Sr.. NetworkEngineer, then 16th Special Operat
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    I am facing the possibility of being back in the hospital as an in-patient, if tests next week show what blood
    tests last week suggest (that cancer is trying to kill me again). If I'm able to get the money to buy one, and
    that's a HUGE if, is there an Android tablet that meets most or all of the following:

1) WiFi connectivity and/or 3G (even if only via USB or WiFi link to my Android phone)
    2) Maxed out CPU power, RAM, hard drive, etc.... i.e., no wimpy tablets
    3) GPS (preferred, but already have it on my Motorola Bravo, so...)
    4) Standard Market apps supported (too many that I wouldn't want to have an Android device without)
    5) Divx/Xvid support for video playback
    6) MP3 (and, ideally, AC3) audio for video playback
    7) ability to add an external portable USB hard drive (or more than one)

?

With all of that in mind, any suggestions on the best choice, and what I could expect to pay for it, if I
    can come up with the money to do so? My Motorola Bravo has some games, small space to add music,
    and a tiny screen. Ok for routine Dr. visits, but if I have to stay in the Cancer Care Center, I'll be wishing
    for more..... Of course, all of this depends on test results next week...I'm basically preparing for the worst,
    and not so optimistic about the rest.

Suggestions, please.

Thanks,
    --jim

Advertisement

2. Charlesleonard

None

May 7, 2011
    1st hope the tests are all negative. As to you questions, I use the Acer Iconia 32gb. It does all you asked about. Price, at Costco $429 for 32gb currently the 16gb is as low as $299 at some stores. All in US dollars. Hope this helps and let us know how the tests turn out.

GTbrewer likes this.
  3. GTbrewer

GTbrewer Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    WAS Sr.. NetworkEngineer, then 16th Special Operat
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    By the way, I forgot one other thing I'd really like to have in the Tablet I eventually go with (sooner or later, I
    will be getting one): a rooted device. Is the Acer Iconia 32GB rootable?

Thanks,
    --jim

4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 and it's great. It is easily rootable and I have the latest firmware running on it. Most reviewers claim its the best honeycomb tab out there. You'll need an adapter to add hdmi support and there's no gps with the wifi only model but you're phones support should be fine. Also look out for the discount from Staples, it's a great deal.

GTbrewer likes this.