• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ultimate ascend customization guide.

Hi does anyone know an easy method to copy the contents of the sdcard into a folder on their pc? I was completely clueless the other night and just couldnt figure it out. Is dragging and dropping each thing the only way, on can you just copy it all in one step?

just highlight everything on your sd card and you can drag and drop, or you can highlight everything on the sdcard, right click once highlighted and click copy, than make a new folder on your desktop and open it and right click in the new folder and click paste...:D

Upvote 0
just highlight everything on your sd card and you can drag and drop, or you can highlight everything on the sdcard, right click once highlighted and click copy, than make a new folder on your desktop and open it and right click in the new folder and click paste...:D

You make it seem so simple... How cool is that! Thanks, I will give it a go later on tonite after the kids are asleep (way too many distractions right now).:D

Upvote 0

Don't forget, holding down on CTRL while you left click will highlight/unhighlight a file without unhighlighting the rest.

Upvote 0
Is there anywhere else I can download the cm6 or cm7 ROMs from other than uploading.com? It's not downloading to my phone. I got Google apps zip. I'm rooted with Icarus trying to try a new rom. I have paid for Premium ROM manager and Premium membership to the uploading.com website and I still get no download. My PC is not working so I was hoping to use my phone for the ROM change.

Upvote 0
Is there anywhere else I can download the cm6 or cm7 ROMs from other than uploading.com? It's not downloading to my phone. I got Google apps zip. I'm rooted with Icarus trying to try a new rom. I have paid for Premium ROM manager and Premium membership to the uploading.com website and I still get no download. My PC is not working so I was hoping to use my phone for the ROM change.

This might sound a bit convoluted,but,how about downloading the app BARNACLE WI-FI TETHER or similar app,use it to get internet to your PC/LAPTOP(?),download it to your computer & then load it up on your phone.

Upvote 0
This might sound a bit convoluted,but,how about downloading the app BARNACLE WI-FI TETHER or similar app,use it to get internet to your PC/LAPTOP(?),download it to your computer & then load it up on your phone.

As I stated earlier my laptop is not working (low memory ) . I was trying to use my phone only. Is there another link? Or is uploading.com the only place to get the zip file?

Upvote 0
I just flashed to CM6 last week, and am now thinking of trying icarus simply due to the SMS, wi-fi, and battery life issues I am having (love the speeeeeeed tho), but as I was reading through the directions I realized that I somehow managed to skip the factory reset/wipe and dalvik cache part as I flashed to CM6!!

Could this be causing those problems, or is that step really unnecessary? (which would save people some time eliminating restoring data)

I appreciate any insight.

Upvote 0
go to the setting in your phone: menu button, tap settings.

go to applications, check "unknown sources" and tap ok.
scroll down to "development" and check "usb debugging" and "allow mock locations"

open the "file manager" app on your phone and look in "downloads" open the z4root.apk and select install.

...ok when i go to the file manager and click on the file I get this message saying "Parse Error" "There is a problem parsing the package" and give me one option to hit ok and nothing else happens.
also I'm new to forums, how do you do that original post or quotes in the cool box! :)

Upvote 0
INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD (CWM)

Download the cwm.zip---------> CWM Recovery.zip (Thanks to Jazzette for this from her icarus 1.1 guide)

make sure usb debugging is turned on (menu button, settings, applications, development, usb debugging)

boot your phone into debug mode (fastboot) press, in order, VOLUME ROCKER DOWN+END (HANG UP)+ POWER. your phone will stay at the huawei screen. attach to pc using usb cord.

open the cwm.zip and extract the files
open the cwm folder
open the following files (you may see the dos box open briefly, this shows it worked all file are labeled according to os, choose for your os)

adb
fastboot
install recovery

unplug your phone from the pc and remove the battery for ten seconds.

boot to cwm VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER

you should see a black screen with green text. you now have cwm

First off, I wanted to say thank you for your time to write us a guide. When I follow these instructions however says update fail with a blinking yellow triangle icon upon doing the fastboot upload. I am a cricket customer with a huwaei ascend and i am rooted from your previous 2 instructions. Not sure what is the problem, I see the black dos screen, i unzipped the files, and run as administrator those 3 files you have listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Background information- I bought 2 of these ascends. One for me and the other for my mother. Cricket will not be updating the os on these phones as they have newer phones they keep trying to push up on me. Geez, thanks for nothing! "We don't have any news on updating your os but probably not" We have new phones from Huwaei we can sell you........ :eek:

Upvote 0
i guess im by myself tonight on here heh,

UPDATE: Some random way I figured out you need ROM manager from the market (i guess everybody goes by the developer's name for this app ??????) installed and need to click the first option "flashclockworkmod recovery"

Still.. getting this ERROR:

FIRMWARE UPDATE
STEP 1/2
Unpacking
Update Failed

*Fixed* - I was pressing the far right instead of the far left button and the green writing came up.

Upvote 0
No. You're not alone... just a little confusing. Lol.

It's called CWMRecovery because it is used to recover your files (at least that's my understanding). You don't need ROM Manager, I've never used it. I think it's just another optional tool. You can install CWM via your PC as well.

As far as the developer's name... I have no idea what you are talking about...

PS: I feel like I'm the only one on here A LOT. But that's because I'm checking the forums like every 30 min, trying to kill time at work. Lol.

Upvote 0
I think I had alot of trouble finding this app in the market under the name clockworkmod, HOWEVER I was able to find it under the name ROM manager when I stumbled across another website forums somewhere else....

Yeah, Im glad I was able to remove the crapware that was on my phone. The directions were pretty clear to me there. I'm really greatful for that. I just find trying to upgrade the OS a little out of my realm. I don't want to mess something up, not 100% sure with how some of those directions are written. Plus, alot of it has to do with my inexperience with phone OS's.

Upvote 0
I am having problems trying to get my ascend to recognize my ringtones that are on my SD card after updating to CM7.1.. How can I make my phone scan my ringtones on my SD card so I can use them for my contacts?? The only way I have found to do it is to go into the music player and hold my finger on a song until a menu pops up and I can add it as my default ringtone then the phone will remember it. I hate to have to sit down and add 60+ ringtones one by one. Is there a faster "easier" way to do this??

There isn't much difference between CM7 and CM7.1 except the fact that I can't run at 710mhz and set on boot. It will just keep rebooting over and over. Runs great at 690mhz just can't set on boot.. :)

Just want to add ALL my ringtones to my phone and only found the one way thru the music player one by one.. Need a simpler way to do it..

Thanks...

Upvote 0
i have a ascend running froyo 2.2.2 and its rooted. and im trying to flash the rom and install CM7 so i downloaded rom manager. the problem is i cant go to the recovery boot screen. my phone just freezes at the screen that says huawei. what can i do

u need cwm flash it in rom manager and you should be fine (i think)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones