• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ultimate Battery-Saving Tip Thread... (no discussion, just advice)

FliGuyRyan

Jun 12, 2010
Alright,

I realize that there are a few threads related to this, but I would like this thread to cover all devices using the Android OS. I personally purchased an EVO and I'm finding it difficult preserving my battery life. This is to benefit all Android users and unlike the other threads I've seen, I would like this to be kept to proven advice only. My goal is to provide common and device-specific advice to those who need it most - people new to the operating system.

First of all, the stipulation... if this goes according to plan, it will be "sticky" quality. To achieve that quality, the rules must be followed.

RULE:

1. Only post if you have proven advice for saving battery life.
2. List your phone model, and if it's phone specific, notate that fact.
3. Leave Task Killer suggestions off this list. That is a debate, these are facts.
4. Do not participate in discussion - Facts and tips only.
5. Make this newbie friendly. Provide detailed advice and why it works.
6. Use common sense when posting... be as helpful as possible.
7. Practice diligence - read posts before posting to avoid doubling information.
8. NO COMMENTS OR DISCUSSION. visit, observe, learn, post advice only...

*IF (and only a big "IF") your comment is worthy - and ultimately beneficial to the thread - of being left, PLEASE... keep it to a minimum.

Thank you for all who participate and provide sound and solid advice.

-Ryan

P.S. I don't mean to sound like a dictator defining rules and such, but I sincerely want this to be beneficial and a one-stop-shop for battery-saving advice.

Background - I am using a Seidio 1750mah battery. I just did a fresh format of the internal system and am starting over with the settings after narrowing down the apps I want to use on a regular basis. This is why this thread will prove useful...

Use task killers to kill the apps that you don't need anymore, advanced task killer app has an option to kill eveything after a certain time. I set mine to 30min so if I don't use a certain app for a period of time it gets killed or if my phone just sits there everything will be killed automatically and advanced task killer kills itself too so it won't be running in the background.

Upvote 0
Alright,

I realize that there are a few threads related to this, but I would like this thread to cover all devices using the Android OS. I personally purchased an EVO and I'm finding it difficult preserving my battery life. This is to benefit all Android users and unlike the other threads I've seen, I would like this to be kept to proven advice only. My goal is to provide common and device-specific advice to those who need it most - people new to the operating system.

First of all, the stipulation... if this goes according to plan, it will be "sticky" quality. To achieve that quality, the rules must be followed.

RULE:

1. Only post if you have proven advice for saving battery life.
2. List your phone model, and if it's phone specific, notate that fact.
3. Leave Task Killer suggestions off this list. That is a debate, these are facts.
4. Do not participate in discussion - Facts and tips only.
5. Make this newbie friendly. Provide detailed advice and why it works.
6. Use common sense when posting... be as helpful as possible.
7. Practice diligence - read posts before posting to avoid doubling information.
8. NO COMMENTS OR DISCUSSION. visit, observe, learn, post advice only...

*IF (and only a big "IF") your comment is worthy - and ultimately beneficial to the thread - of being left, PLEASE... keep it to a minimum.

Thank you for all who participate and provide sound and solid advice.

-Ryan

P.S. I don't mean to sound like a dictator defining rules and such, but I sincerely want this to be beneficial and a one-stop-shop for battery-saving advice.

Background - I am using a Seidio 1750mah battery. I just did a fresh format of the internal system and am starting over with the settings after narrowing down the apps I want to use on a regular basis. This is why this thread will prove useful...

Sorry, had to be a smartass

Ryan, let us know if that 1750mah helps I was looking at that for my EVO I don't believe it changes the thickness of the phone? I'm very curious!

SetCPU is suppose to work very but I do not want to root my phone yet probably like alot of people

Upvote 0
SetCPU indeed can save battery by throttling down your CPU when it's not needed.

Juice Defender saves battery by toggling APN on a time-schedule. Mine is reporting a 2.17x increase in battery life.

Low voltage kernels can also improve battery life, as well as certain custom ROMs which make tweaks here and there, such as the longer duration between wifi scans in Pete's Bugless Beast ROMs.

Upvote 0
Use task killers to kill the apps that you don't need anymore, advanced task killer app has an option to kill eveything after a certain time. I set mine to 30min so if I don't use a certain app for a period of time it gets killed or if my phone just sits there everything will be killed automatically and advanced task killer kills itself too so it won't be running in the background.

How do you get task killer to kill everything after a certain time? I've gone into settings but can't find the option you're talking about. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
SetCPU indeed can save battery by throttling down your CPU when it's not needed.

Juice Defender saves battery by toggling APN on a time-schedule. Mine is reporting a 2.17x increase in battery life.

Low voltage kernels can also improve battery life, as well as certain custom ROMs which make tweaks here and there, such as the longer duration between wifi scans in Pete's Bugless Beast ROMs.

I use the same setup and I've been very happy with the battery life.

Upvote 0
I disabled always on mobile services. Basically mobile Internet dies when the phone locks. It had the side effect of killing my push e-mail so it was not a good deal for me, but in half a day of surfing the web, playing with apps etc, I still have 80% battery life because the phone isn't connected to the web when the screen is locked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones