• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ultimate Droid 8.1.1 launcher 2 force close

I did do a search, but didn't find anything. I had been running Cyanogen's latest 5.0.5.3 I had also been using Ultimate Droid 8.1.1. I had decided to flash to UD from CM. I used ROM Manager. I had been using the Helix 2 launcher with UD. I decided to try the launcher2, so I checked that. The whole process ran apparently normally. Except it did lock up at the cache backup stage at the dalvik cache backup. I had to pull the battery and re do the ROM download from ROM manager. However, when the screen pops up after all of the boot antimation cycle, and you unlock, there is an immediate launcher2 force close. I can get to nothing in the phone. I do have the entire contents of my sd card on my laptop, which has all of the backups on it, not including this latest one.

Power off and hold the X key does not work, so I can't get to reboot recovery that way. Multiple power off and battery pulls did nothing.

Another point is that I had been able to download UD only if I checked AdamZ's 1.0 low voltage overclock kernel. I would get ROM download error with ANY of the other kernel choices. I tried this after the ROM Manager update I found tonight. This time I checked Chevy's 1.25 low voltage, and the process seemed normal, other than the lockup during cache backup noted above. However UD had been running just fine when I had used it. So had CM

So any help here would be really appreciated.

From your PC try (I am assuming you are set up for the Android Debug Bridge):

adb reboot recovery

If that doesn't take you to recovery you can reflash your recovery from your pc using (for SPRecovery):

adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img

or (for Clockwork)
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img

I would do a data wipe before restoring.

BTW - Version 8.6.3 of Ultimate Droid is now available.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bl...se-faster-lots-fixes-themeable-framework.html

Upvote 0
I really have no idea what was happening at that time. I decided to heck with it, took the battery out of the Doid, and went to bed. When I woke up, I reinstalled the battery and the Droid then rebooted into recovery with the power and X buttons, something it would not do last night (or else I was too tired to be doing anything and was just doing something wrong). At any rate, I used nandroid recovery and restored the last Cyanogen backup. That worked. I then noticed that there was a upgrade on ROM Manager, both for Clockwork Recovery and for the ROM Manager. The upgrade actually showed up in the notification bar just after I posted last night. Whatever had happened would not let the Clockwork Recovery update, nor would it download any other ROM from the menu, nor would it restore, backup, or anything else last night.

When I had updated, I went back to ROM Manager, downloaded UD 8.6.3 and I stayed away from Launcher2, staying with Helix2, which had been working. This update seemed to fix the "download the UD ROM only with AdamZ's 1.0 low voltage kernel" problem. At any rate, whatever happened seems to be fixed.

Upvote 0
You know, the charger thing might be it. I was using my laptop last night, and I did have the Droid (at some point anyway) connected to the laptop with USB while transferring some files. I usually have the charger from the outlet plugged into the Droid when I do the ROM flash/downloads, just so I will have power. I can't say for sure, but I may never have unplugged the USB from the phone and replaced it with the wall cord.

I really can't say, but I blame gremlins a lot :). I guess the point is to pay attention to what you are doing. Don't be your own gremlin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones