1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Ultra noob rooted now lost please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by htcevo4g03, Feb 21, 2011.

1. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

Hello all I am a first time poster so please forgive any mistakes I make or noob questions I ask.
    Ok so Iv recently rooted using unrevoked 3. The next steps to take im not 100% clear on and I want to be sure. Just to be clear, I did quite a bit of reading and watching vids but im still too confused to go foreward on my own so I am reaching out for some much needed help. It would be so very.much appreciated. Please.
    Ok so like I said I rooted using the umrevoked 3 method and I do have s-off and the super user icon. Obv. I am a first time rooter. I looked into some roms on youtube and the xda website altho im pretty much lost when it comes to this. Iv basically just gone off of the pictures and descriptions of what they have and what they dont. I dont have 4g in my area so I dont mind not having that but I would like to keep hdmi but its not a must at all. Iv read that your first rom should be simple, not sure if thats the norm. Just from looks and customization, I like myns 5, if that sounds right. If not, ill take direction from experienced rooters when it comes to choosing a rom.
    So again, im rooted with s-off and ready to take the neccesary steps from here. I dont know much, other than the reading and watching vids in the last few days. I will be checking the thread regularly today. If there is anything I havent mentioned or info from me that is needed please just ask. Again, any help I recieve in the process of installing a custom and getting where I need to be is much appreciated and I would hope that someday I can give back after I learn.
    Rs

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

First off welcome to the forums and congrats on rooting!

At this point as long as you have SU, s-off and recovery it is open to you to try the different roms to find one you like. Fresh, Mikfroyo, and Myns are all stable roms that have everything working and the sprint bloatware removed. I would hold off on flashing kernels yet til you find a rom you like. I started with Fresh and used it as a daily for about 3 weeks before switching to Mikfroyo and currently run Evervolv Gingerbread beta(still not a final release). Just remember to always make a nandroid backup before you flash anything just in case something goes wrong. Rooting for Dummies has detailed instructions for flashing Roms and kernels. If you run into trouble, there are many here that are willing to help.

Here is a list on XDA of currently available roms: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Supersonic/ROMs

One other thing, what is the radio version you currently have?

3. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

Hey Xtreme thank you for the welcome.

Like I said im so lost so I don't even know where to look to tell you what radio i have. Somewhere i read to update prl and profile so i did that before I rooted. I'm not sure if thats what your talking about. I read that rooting for dummies and I'm still lost. I actually need someone to tell me what to do step by step bec. I know I'll f something up. Not sure if thats possible.
    I also don't know what a nandroid backup is or how and when to do it.
    I would appreciate it so much if you could help me and i'd be willing to pay you if that's allowed here.

4. Xtremedays

Payment is not necessary, its all about paying to forward. :) go to setting>about phone. Baseband should be listed there. current version is 2.15.00.11.19. If you have that then you wont need to worry about updating your radios til a new version comes out.

Find the Rom you want to try. download it on your pc and place it on the root(not in a folder) of your sd card. reboot to hboot(power off, hold down volume and power on). go to back/restore. perform backup. when you are done with that, we can do the next step.

5. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

Well thanks man. Very very nice of you.
    Yes I have that version.
    I like this one a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftXfAXmTRw
    So i just go to xda and type myn rsl 5 warm 2.2
    should I be able to find it pretty easy that you know of?

I think I can follow what you said except for the backup/restore part. Where and how do I do this?

Im going to xda and try to find this and dl it and attempt to put it where you say to put it.

thanks alot x. your such a big help!

6. Xtremedays

Follow this link: HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

go down the page and find the link for Myns. Download that to you pc.

Do you know how to boot to recovery? Power the phone off. Hold down volume and power the phone back on. It will boot to a white screen(called hboot). use the volume keys to go to recovery and hit power to select. That will take you to recovery. use the volume keys to move to backup and perform a backup.

7. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

Yes I think I can follow these last direction but there is a bunch of different things to download like Rom, mirror 1, mirror 2, and other stuff..can you tell me exactly what i need to download. All iv started to dl as of now is Download Warm TwoPointTwo RLS 5
    anything else? or is this good for now?

8. Xtremedays

The "mirrors" are just addition places you can download the same file. you should be good with just that one download

9. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

ok dl halfway done. its taking pretty long though. I'll try to follow these directions and get back to you asap.

Hey I cant say how much I appreciate this.

one more thing should my phone be connected to me pc through the entire process?

10. Xtremedays

The only time you need it connected to the pc is to transfer the rom zip file to the root of your sd card. Do not unzip the file. transfer it as it was downloaded to the root of the sdcard(not in any folders, the top level of the card).

11. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

got u. My downloads are set to save through Winrar. Is that ok? When I download something, I open it, and it's in WinRar. Thats not what you mean when you say unzip right?
    Or should i have the default set to use something else?

12. MakeItYours

MakeItYours Newbie

Hey I just rooted mine last night! :D and I'm about to flash myn as well! just sayin...

13. Xtremedays

It should still be saved as a .zip file on your pc. you need to connect your phone to the pc and transfer the zipped file to the root of the card.

14. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

X I transfered the file like you said(not in a folder) powered off and back on with volume down and power and it booted up normally no white screen?? I knew I couldnt this

15. Xtremedays

did you hold the volume down while it booted? You have to hold volume "down" button and the power button at the same time

16. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

sorry i got it, i guess i didnt hold it down long enough. ok im trying this backup...sorry again about that

17. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

Ok doing the backup now. after that what's next?

18. Xtremedays

wipe data/factory reset, wipe davlik-cache, install zip from sdcard, select the myns zip file, when done reboot

19. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

ok i did everything except select myns zip file..selections are apply sdcard.zip or choose zip from sdcard which one do i select

20. Xtremedays

choose zip from sd card

21. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

ok rebooting now.

Just a few other question and I'll let you go. Man I owe you big time!!

is there anything else i need to know or to do?

and when it comes to downloading new roms, you know how there's other different things to dl other than the rom itself. Can you explain a little about that. From what I understand, its little add-on like different clocks, icons, docks at top and bottom of the screens stuff like that..is that right? Or do rooms come where you can change all that different stuff?
    ANd with adding that extra stuff, is the process of adding them the exact same way of the rom?

Can I add/remove anything ? i.e. change the keyboard, uninstall apps like fb for htc sense and add a different fb app.

Can I use a launcher?

22. Xtremedays

After you get it set up the way you want it, reboot to recovery and back it up again so you have a good setup to return to if you decide to play with themes and such. Most addons and mods are flashed the same way except you only with davlik-cache before flashing. Addons and mods are usually set up for specific roms. Check the threads about the roms, usually in the first 2 or 3 posts.

23. htcevo4g03

htcevo4g03 Member

I understand you said the addons to the mod are flashed the same way except for what? Cache? So your saying to do the exact same steps I just did except for davlik-chache? right?

Also I thought after being rooted, you can add/remove any apps you want? even stocked?
    and where can I find my contacts or are they gone?
    and i told you i was an ultra noob!

24. Xtremedays

sorry, except only wipe cache-davlik. you will have to re-sign into your google account to sync your contacts. Myns I believe comes with most of the bloatware removed already. it is better to use Titanium backup to freeze apps before removing them as some are tied to the system files and can cause problems.

25. RunVert

RunVert Well-Known Member

Been reading this on and off this morning. I am curious...htcevo, how did your new ROM turn out?

Tags: