• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Um? Kam187 Might Need your Thought's! Fastboot Working on BH2

BH_MAN

Android Expert
Feb 17, 2010
Can anyone that Has Knowledge with Fastboot see if you can Run
fastboot -w
I recall Fastboot not working at All one Phone 1 & 2, but Phone 3 I can run Fastboot Commands.

Not brave enough to Further test, the above command is fully safe to run btw!!!!
This is Just wiping the Data / Cache from the Phone... I confirmed it working on my Phone!

But need to see if it's working on other's Phone's as well..

Here are some Pictures of it working...

Right now I don't know, but I need People to see if they can access it.

USB must be Plugged into Phone..... Volume up + Talk + End + Cube when Booting the Phone...

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 87
Okay... So it Does Look like It's Working But, Um not Really Doing anything. Going to PLay around with it more....

Nevermind... This Post can be Deleted by a Mod if they want... Only Command it will Truly run in Fastboot is Fastboot -w which just wipe's your Cache & userdata...

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: tritran18518
Upvote 0
You could always go into fastboot, you just needed to get your timing exactly right, and start with the cable already in the phone.

The most usefull part of fastboot - flashing, doesnt work because it can't understand the partition structure :( We tried it a long time ago, but no luck

Unrelated, I noticed you are now able to flash a custom 'system' with odin. Was it just a matter of yaffsing up the system or something else? Its strange because flashing a galaxy system img onto the behold will brick it!

Since we can flash kernel and system, why not recovery :)

Upvote 0
You could always go into fastboot, you just needed to get your timing exactly right, and start with the cable already in the phone.

The most usefull part of fastboot - flashing, doesnt work because it can't understand the partition structure :( We tried it a long time ago, but no luck

Unrelated, I noticed you are now able to flash a custom 'system' with odin. Was it just a matter of yaffsing up the system or something else? Its strange because flashing a galaxy system img onto the behold will brick it!

Fastboot Kinda understands... I played with it More last night before bed.

fastboot erase Kernel ( Not Boot )
It understands the Partition if you use the file name's like the BH2 uses.
Recovery / Kernel / System all fail on a Security flag... But it was worth a try.

i.e. Kernel / Recovery ... I tried erasing the Kernel in Post 2, said it erased fine but truly didn't.

Regarding the Custom system.img, as long as you can get a Rom onto the Phone it's Just a matter of Pulling the System.img back Off. The hardest part in testing is No adb during boot up... But yes.. It's just a Matter of getting back into a Yauff file then I just yauff it to the system and proceed from there.

I'm thinking they don't allow downgrading of the Recovery, Similar to how Moto Cliq don't allow downgrading of the Radio. Or, It's Signed somehow.

Upvote 0

The Behold 2 uses Samsung's proprietary file system RFS (Robust File System) instead of YAFFS2, and the tools to work with RFS images are licensed afaik. So instead you can just use the phone's built in support to build your image on it and 'dd' to dump it off the appropriate flash device.

A Galaxy system image won't work because its in YAFFS2 (right?) and the Behold 2 does not have kernel support for that file system.

A recompiled kernel could (and will probably have to) replace RFS with YAFFS2. The trick is we still don't know how to flash a custom recovery. There is probably some dependence between what Recovery writes to flash and how the kernel reads the devices - and including the GPL'ed LLD (Low Level Driver) in the builds might not be enough. I have a feeling XSR support will be required too.

Basically saying that if we want to change the file system support in one, we should be prepared to have to do it in both Recovery and the kernel.

References: SAMSUNG Semiconductor - Products - Flash - Flash Software

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones