• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ummm whats going on with GB now??

LMAO

It has come to the attention of Verizon Wireless and HTC that customers using the Thunderbolt by HTC have experienced a voicemail notification error with the recent software update. As a result, the update has been temporarily suspended while the companies work together to resolve the issue.

I am sure they had no intention on fixing this prior to release and wouldn't have pulled the update had the dev community not fixed the error. Sad but true but HTC and VZW are sorry for not knowing the device as well as the dev community. The error they pulled the update for has been present on each and every leaked version of GB for the bolt, if they didn't know about it before release then they have the worst beta testers in the world.

Sorry to the stock users who haven't got the update yet and now have to wait longer, you can chalk up the extend wait on the dev community for fixing a bug that HTC and VZW couldn't but if you do please also blame the dev community for the fix itself and be happy you will have a properly functioning GB bolt once the new OTA has been released.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Interesting theory, but if they didn't know that the VM didn't work then I will assume that they don't know there is a fix. I think they pulled it because of all the tech support calls. They might know by now how to fix it, but it's probably back in testing which means another long delay. They better put out a patch for those that got the bogus update or point them to eris' thread/zip. Haha, what a joke.

Upvote 0
My concern is for those of us who already downloaded the original OTA. Was that the one that had errors in it, and we will get an updated version? or are we stuck with the problematic one? Because to me it sounds like they didn't catch the errors until after it was downloaded by users.

the only error I am seeing is no VM notification. But I called tech support and they added visual VM for me free of charge until the issue is fixed.

GB is fast on the phone. zippy.

Upvote 0
the only error I am seeing is no VM notification. But I called tech support and they added visual VM for me free of charge until the issue is fixed.

GB is fast on the phone. zippy.

Thats cool of them to add that for free. I must say the one thing about Verizon Wireless is that. They are quick to give hand outs to customers over complaints.

Upvote 0
I actually switched over to Google voice lite. The voicemail options are so much better and it works with my number. I don't use Google Voice for anything else but the voicemail is totally worth it. The free transcribing is great and being able to listen to and delete the messages from the app is awesome.

Upvote 0
I think VZW knew about the VM errors all along. They released this update so they could keep their word on releasing GB by end of second quarter. For VZW to claim they just realized there are VM issues is low. They knew and they released the GB update anyways. Lame.

Agreed that they knew about the error. Hate to point this out but second quarter was over on June 30th, they produced GB at the end of third quarter but unless they send out the updated version today the new official OTA will be in fourth quarter :cool:

They released it because they wanted to save face by making it available and there were so many leaks that had the issue and nobody could come up with a fix. I stand by my statement that the dev community found a fix and caused them to pull it otherwise it would be a MR update later once a fix was found.

I am sure VZW has people who read/troll/participate in forums like AF, XDA, Rootz, ect
They were fully aware of the issue and ignored it, the public wanted the update and they got it, slightly unfinished but that seems to be how it goes with the bolt

Upvote 0
Agreed that they knew about the error. Hate to point this out but second quarter was over on June 30th, they produced GB at the end of third quarter but unless they send out the updated version today the new official OTA will be in fourth quarter :cool:

They released it because they wanted to save face by making it available and there were so many leaks that had the issue and nobody could come up with a fix. I stand by my statement that the dev community found a fix and caused them to pull it otherwise it would be a MR update later once a fix was found.

I am sure VZW has people who read/troll/participate in forums like AF, XDA, Rootz, ect
They were fully aware of the issue and ignored it, the public wanted the update and they got it, slightly unfinished but that seems to be how it goes with the bolt

I completely agree.

Upvote 0
I actually switched over to Google voice lite. The voicemail options are so much better and it works with my number. I don't use Google Voice for anything else but the voicemail is totally worth it. The free transcribing is great and being able to listen to and delete the messages from the app is awesome.

We switched one phone over to Sprint w/the EVO 3D and the stock voicemail application on that is amazing. You pay for transcription if you want it, but otherwise it works just like visual voicemail if memory serves correctly.

Agree with everyone who thinks VZ knew about this, released update to please people, dev community found fix for it, and then VZ takes their fix. It'd be nice if they would own up to this and credit the devs

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones