• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AlkiDweller

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
Seattle
I upgraded the kernel with one from Zeffie when the version was around 8. It worked so well I just left it alone. I never backed it up prior to the upgrade but I did save the few stock apps I had removed.

In anticipation of 2.1 I expect I'll have to restore it to stock. Is that a correct assessment? If so, can someone point me to instructions?

I spent about 15 minutes searching here and at SDX and didn't come up with anything but I probably would have if I'd spent 16 minutes. :eek:

I never went to CL14 so do I have to reflash to the stock CJ05 first? I didn't back up the stock kernel.

No, just put CL14 in the binary. Out of curiosity, if you have the knowledge to flash these yourself, why would you take it to Sprint? I think the most believe that it will be available from Sprint over the web.

Reactions: AlkiDweller
Upvote 0
No, just put CL14 in the binary. Out of curiosity, if you have the knowledge to flash these yourself, why would you take it to Sprint? I think the most believe that it will be available from Sprint over the web.

Speed. I never rooted a phone before this one and it took me the better part of an afternoon to figure it out and get it done. Since I was quite pleased with the outcome I left it that way. Now I have to do everything in reverse and going back and trying to figure out what I did in the first place can be harder than figuring it out in the first place.

Things have changed a lot since the beginning of January. I don't even know what you mean by "just put CL14 in the binary". I never got past CJ05 and I don't remember a binary.

Upvote 0
Google sync your contacts etc Back up any apps/pics/music to your computer or Micro SD card.
Follow these directions here and just use the Sprint Update utility and you will have CL14.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/62674-how-install-2-1-root-dummys.html
If you want update to 2.1 I am running it stock and it rocks! If you do make sure you do the Streaming App/Music fix you will like 2.1 so much it is like a new phone

J

Reactions: AlkiDweller
Upvote 0
The DI06 upgrade they're pushing out has bootlooped a bunch of phones. I think there are a few upgrades in the new software, and a few parts to try to stop people from rooting their phones. I think the latter is what's boot looping phones.

I have mixed feelings about samsung as to whether or not I'll ever get another. I probably will though as my moment has actually been a good one.

Upvote 0
Never another a Samsung phone. Between the boot loop that just started today (without messing with the OS) and the impossible CAPTCHA's on the SDX site, I pulverized it with a 15 pound hand weight. I'm going back to a dumb phone.

Every update for every phone and PDA I've owned has bricked and or messed up some devices regardless of brand. The only captcha's you'll see on SDX are for new members first few posts. I hope you were kidding about the weight.

Upvote 0
Pasta, I haven't updated the phone since May. Now 5 months later I get a boot loop? I figured a little research over at SDX and a newer ROM would fix things and I found something I wanted to download but even after about 20 tries with the CAPTCHA's, it wouldn't let me in. I even used the CAPTCHA sound player, so I know what I was typing was accurate.

At that point I was so frustrated I decided the Samsung was going out in the mornings trash and it was time for something different. And I'm not kidding, I used a 15 pound hand weight on it, and it made me feel better.

I've got 65 Nextel handsets at work and they're not on a contract so I'll probably order something on the corporate account to get the discount, activate it on my personal account and pay the company back. I've never used the Samsungs phone number for anything because I've got a Google Voice number, so I've got all my calls coming to my company cell phone.

Yesterday I saw that Evo's were available on the Sprint site. Maybe I'll try one of those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones