1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unable to boot.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by onlyoldz, Dec 27, 2011.

1. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

Hi,

New to the forums. I have an issue with my HTC EVO 4g. I am fully rooted and after having a loading issue with CN Mod 7 i attempted to recover to my backup and i was receiving an error "Error while flashing boot image!" I went through every step i can think of. I even mounted SD storage to add a new rom and install via zip. After that my phone wont boot past the splash screen. I am lost. Please help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Wow. Hello! Welcome to the forums!

Can you get to recovery? Which recovery do you have?

Could you try that? First, How about pull the battery for a bit, then replace it and try to get into recovery by the usual method, hold down the vol button and then press down on the power button.

If you can get into recovery, I would think of performing a full wipe of all except sd card, and then try flashing a rom again, or, try to restore your nandroid...

Granite1 likes this.
  3. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

I got into recovery with no issue. The issue was actually recovering to a backup. Unfortunately my whole SD card was reformatted in the process. Now i have zero backup files and everything is gone. When i try to boot up it just stays on my custom splash screen. Is there a way to go back to factory and try to re root? Or should i just junk my phone?

4. dustwun77

Is your sd card in a usable state at this point?

do you have an adaptor and a card reader? If you hook it up straight to your pc, can you put files on it and read them with the pc? Have you formatted it purposely or is it just corrupt?

I don't see any indication your phone itself is messed up. If you had a good file on your sd card to flash, I don't see why it wouldn't work, at this point, assuming the card is actually good and you have a good file on it.

Granite1 likes this.
  5. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

The card is usable and completely clean now. I am able to mount it to my PC and move files over. What would i need? I am still able to get into the fastboot screen.

6. dustwun77

which recovery do you have? do you have any old nands on your pc?

there is a new amon ra style recovery that can restore clockwork and amon ra nands.

If you want to take this opportunity to change recoveries, that might not be a bad idea, make some progress too, as amon ra types seem to be better.

also, this might be a good time to go ahead and partition your card too, I would suggest no more than a 1 gig partition.

I would just wipe really well, cache, data and dalvick cache, and use superwipe, if you are on an amon ra recovery, and then try to flash a new rom!

Granite1 likes this.
  7. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

Now how am i suppose to flash a rom without being able to boot up my phone? And i would just install the new recovery zip to my sd card and install it via recovery?

8. dustwun77

hang on a sec, let me get you a link.

Granite1 likes this.
  9. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Yep u can just flash a new rom in recovery. dustwun will get it for ya.

dustwun77 likes this.
  10. dustwun77

this is something from the past that I think would work for you. I think it is named right already!

Granite1 and onlyoldz like this.
  11. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

I am attempting to flash SOS rom via recovery right now.

12. dustwun77

wow dude, you are quick. it asked you to update and you said yes and it did already?

you need to use the menu to select wipe, and wipe cache and dalvik cache and data. do that 3 times,

I am going to get you the ink to mik3.0, it is a great rom even with just the stock kernel

Granite1 likes this.
  13. dustwun77

Ok, that is a good one, but i want to emphasize the wiping process first!

14. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

I am usually good with anything involving technology lol. I will do the wipe sequence now. Is it normal to ask me to update the zip everytime i boot into fastboot?

15. dustwun77

ok, it has served it's purpose now, get rid of it now, :p

sorry, trying to multi task, not working too good. what i mean is that PC36IMG.zip file need to be renamed or taken off the sd card.

Granite1 likes this.
  16. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

Did the wipe 3 times consecutively. re flashing the SoS rom now. Gonna restart and pray for success. I really dont want to have to junk my phone. lol

dustwun77 likes this.
  17. dustwun77

Let me know! :p

Granite1 likes this.
  18. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

After the wipe and the install from my SD card it didnt automatically restart. I went to reboot system now and i am currently stuck on the Infected custom splash screen. There has to be another issue. Any other solutions?

19. dustwun77

Man, that has got me corn fused...

maybe one of the other guys will have an idea that can help.

Other than that, me personally. I think I would try the wipe process again adding the Superwipe zip, and try it again, maybe with a different rom.

I think there is a rom that you can install with the bootloader, naming it PC36IMG.zip , as well. I think it is the sprint lovers rom. I think I heard it puts you on new radios and stuff too.

Get some feedback on that from the other guys if what I said is right and if they think that is the way to go.

Granite1 and onlyoldz like this.
  20. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

okay, thanks man. been a huge help. Now i shall await feedback from the other experts :)

21. dustwun77

22. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

Just to clarify, "flashing" is just installing the zip from SD card correct?

23. dustwun77

Yeah, sorry about that, don't want to get medieval on it or anything...

Granite1 likes this.
  24. onlyoldz

onlyoldz Newbie

Not your fault, Just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong. lol

25. dustwun77

thanks. :D

hang in there, one of the guys will pop by sooner or later and might have some different ideas for you to try.

Granite1 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews