1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Unable to clear cache

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jezi_Buckz, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Jezi_Buckz

Jezi_Buckz Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Minnesota
    So, my Eris said I was low on space so i decided to clear some cache, but when I go to my app manager, I am not able to clear cache on ANYTHING. It says 0.00 for any app I click on. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Iowa
    While in 'manage applications,' hit 'menu' and press 'sort by size.' The largest should be on the top. Your browser will store a lot of cache if you use the internet quite a bit.

3. Maybe you're clicking on apps you have not used yet, or that are configured to clear their cache when exiting that app (which is a good thing ;)).

It's also possible that you're not waiting long enough, as the apps load into the managing list; some apps can appear there, but their data, including cache info, has not yet loaded. Just let it all settle for a minute or so before beginning your cache clearing routine.

4. BCEagle

BCEagle Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    So I had a similar problem. Went to bed, no low space warning, woke up, low space warning. So, I went to clear caches using QuickApp Clean Cache. Well, all my caches were at 0. Which is pretty impossible, seeing as I had been using maps a lot recently, and hadn't cleaned out any caches in at least a week. So I deleted some apps and got the warning to go away. However, my memory slowly but surely was eaten away. Low space warning came back, and no matter how many apps I deleted, would not go away. Eventually, memory became so low, my phone started to shut down processes like sms/mms. Then it went into a tailspin. Actual android processes were being forced to close, and the phone became completely unusable. Soon, after a battery pull, the phone would cycle through splash screens without ever starting. Had to bring it in to Verizon so they could get in and do a factory reset, because I couldn't get to it.

5. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Right Here
    I d/led Cache Cleaner. Once click, and it clears my cache everytime. It was free too.

6. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    fyi, Cachecleaner requires root access for you non-rooters

7. Jezi_Buckz

May 11, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well I'm not rooted, and yeah I'm being forced to close a bunch of stuff because I don't have enough memory. And there is no way I don't have cache, I can't even "delete all" on chomp, it has to force close because it can't.. I hope I don't have to factor reset, I'll be so sad :(

8. If that were occurring with my device, I'd not hesitate to do a factory data reset after backing up everything (after first de-installing all apps from Market and doing a live battery pull to see if that remedied the problem).

9. Jezi_Buckz

May 11, 2010
    Minnesota
    I get so confused because people us backup apps, but I don't get where they back up to, my pc? I can't get my phone to work with HTC sync either, I've never been able to figure that out? I want to root my phone, but I"m afraid I'll really mess it up then. :(

10. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Right Here
    Dang, I'm enjoying all these unknown benefits of rooting my Eris.