1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unable to configure Wifi 802.1x EAP

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by napalm37, Jul 28, 2011.

1. napalm37

napalm37 Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    I've been unable to get my new a500 to connect to my office's wifi. The office uses WEP encryption but uses 802.1x EAP authentication. What is interesting is that it scans the network and finds the network (MRN). a500 thinks it is WEP and prompts for a password. I cannot modify the settings for it. If i try to define my own network MRN with EAP authentication, the ACER essentially ignores it and says it is not in range.

I got through 1st level support to 2nd level support and they basically told me you can't do it. Unbelievable. When I asked to speak to a mgr they sent me to corporate support. I explained I worked for a Fortune 15 company and that we were evaluating this for use by physicians across the country, corporate support told me the same thing, sorry you can't do it.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. agent00

agent00 Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't been able to connect to the enterprise wifi at my job ever since the 3.1 update.

3. napalm37

napalm37 Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Well, I was finally able to figure this out. The first problem was that the tablet would only use the network it scanned and detected, and not one that I had defined. For example it scanned "APNAME" and thought it was WEP. I defined a network "APNAME" with 802.1x but it was ignored, said not in range. The basic wireless setup would not let me modify the scanned "APNAME" to be anything other than WEP.

One of the tricks was to type in a password for the WEP scanned "APNAME". This made it a remembered network. I was then able to use "Wifi Advanced Configuration editor". It allows you to edit any remembered network. This tool allows access to advacended network control settings. Now I could play with all the different security settings on the remembered network. Since the scanned remembered network is what was modified, the tablet would pick up these changes and use them. I eventually fond the combination that worked.

It pretty frigin stupid, and looks like Android (or Acer) has a ways to go before truly ready for an enterprise environment.

agent00 likes this.