1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unable to connect to proxy server

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swisstony10, Jan 15, 2014.

1. swisstony10

swisstony10 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    I've had an ongoing problem since I started using my Galaxy Note 3, which affects the standard built-in Internet browser. Randomly, when trying to access a webpage, the browser will return the error "Unable to connect to proxy server". All other web-accessing things work fine - Twitter apps continue to update, I can still send and receive emails, online games, Amazon and Ebay apps still work, the Youtube app is fine, Whatsapp has no problem. The Google search function will still work, and will return me the usual list of websites in response to a query, but if I try to access any of those search results, I get the proxy error.

The only way I can clear it is to go into the application manager in settings, find the Internet app, force close it and clear the cache, and then it'll all work fine again, for a while, until the next time it decides to die on me.

I can't say for sure whether I only get this problem when I use Wifi, but certainly most of the time that's when it happens.

It's a Note 3, running Android 4.3, using the standard Internet browser.

Any ideas? Anybody else having the same issue?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Go to wifi in Settings, long-press the network/Modify network config. Check the Show advanced options box. Proxy settings should be None.

Nikki1787 and Vahag like this.
  3. swisstony10

swisstony10 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    Cool - I did wonder where there might be a proxy settings option. Sadly, I've just had a look, and it is indeed set to "None", so now I'm even more confused. I haven't had the error yet today, but I did get the same issue yesterday - once while at work using my office's "guest" wifi, and once at home, using my own.

>headscratch< ;-)

4. Vahag

Vahag Lurker
    None

Oct 16, 2014
    Rukbat, just registered here to say THANK YOU!
    My phone almost killed me these days, and I solved the problem the way you described.
    Thanks a lot!

5. snig

snig Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2015
    Rubkat, stellar work! Now fixed.

6. Rockstar5927

Rockstar5927 Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2012
    This has driven me spare for the last 2 days! thank you!:)

7. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London
    Many thanks such a simple thing to do but I could not find any reference to proxy server settings in my android tablet manual. Tablet working OK now its no longer a brick.

8. Larrygmartin1938

None

Feb 19, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Arizona
    Thank you so much. I went to the Sprint store, and they did not help. I tried looking at all of the settings, but did not know enough to fix this one. It works fine now of course. Thank you much.

9. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London
    I have done this and its OK until the next start up but it keeps being reset to manual does anyone now why? There is a suggestion that the Kaspersky Internet Security is the culprit.

10. Blancaster

Blancaster Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2015
    Can you please point us to where KIS is suspected as the culprit. I have been fighting this for a year, and it's really pissing me off, since I can reset the proxy setting to NONE, and 30 seconds later, it automatically goes back to manual... and I do have KIS installed. If it is them, I have friends that work there, and would like to bring this to their attention.

Also, it is not just the default "Internet" browser that is affected by this, but all browsers. I have Dolphin (primary) and Chrome installed as well, and both of them are hampered by this problem as well.

11. Blancaster

Blancaster Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2015
    This only works for me, for anywhere between 30 seconds - 5 mins, before the Proxy settings are automatically switched back...

12. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London
    I found the suggestion on the Kasparsky forum. So initially I uninstalled KIS and installed AVG free, this cured the problem but having no wish to pay for a premium version of AVG when I get KIS free from my bank, I reinstalled the latest version of the KIS app. Since doing this the issue seems to be cured. All of my browsers were affected as well as my direct access apps eBay, Amazon, email etc. I check the wifi connection settings every time that I start up my tablet and it has not been changed since. So I hope that it is permantly cured. I am new to android and just like you I was getting seriously pissed off almost to the extent of throwing my tablet out of the window. Try this it might work for you good luck.

Dodger

#12 The Dodger, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  13. Blancaster

Blancaster Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2015
    I verified last night, after talking with my contacts at Kaspersky, that yes, my problem was indeed caused by them. On my Note 3, running Android 4.4.4, I had KIS for Android, version 11.1 installed. The current version is 11.5, and once I upgraded my install to that, the Network Proxy issue has gone away. Apparently, the auto update feature has been turned off by them, so you have to do the update yourself.

To upgrade from your old KIS to the latest Android version, go to http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/android-security and get the .apk from there.

14. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London

15. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London
    So glad that it worked for you as well. It would be interesting to know if the other contributers to this thread also have KIS.

16. Jackman2

Jackman2 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2015
    Male
    Hi I can't use proxy and vpn programs on my Android htc one m7 I can't use opera mini, Hotspot shield and vpn touch it just happened please help me

17. The Dodger

The Dodger Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    London
    I am a novice regarding Android so if you do not have KIS installed on you phone I cannot help you.

Regards Dodger

18. manti

manti Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2013
    Even I had the same problem, KIS is again the suspect here,along with Kingroot 4.5 ,had to remove both of them ..such a PITA..some malicious script was redirecting my android browser to a certain site called topmobileappsannie.com

KIS was giving proxy errors and Kingroot was bothering with redirections, the worst thing KIS could not detect the scam of Kingroot...

19. SmickleJ

SmickleJ Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2015
    Male

20. SmickleJ

SmickleJ Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2015
    Male
    Hi, everyone. I've encountered the same error message two or three times now whenever i tried to connect to Firefox, Chrome etc ( 'unable to connect to proxy server / error - proxy server is refusing connection ). A simple fix i found was to open 'Settings' - scroll down to 'More Networks' - choose 'Mobile Networks' - choose 'Network Operators' ( the device will tell you that it's 'Searching' - this can take a while, be patient . . . ). So now you will be shown a list of available networks. Select the one you are currently using and you should find that everything has returned to normal. Hope this works for you.

21. WAE86

WAE86 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2012
    Unable to connect to Proxy Server! - Fix!

.Pull Down from top
    .Settings
    .WiFi
    .HOLD the Name of the WiFi Network
    .Modify Network Config
    .Enter WiFi Password
    .Check the box "Show Advanced Options"
    ."Proxy". Choose "None"! :)

ozbj likes this.
  22. ozbj

ozbj Lurker
    None

Nov 10, 2015
    WAE86
    Works perfectly on Samsung S4Mini!! - Great work!!:)

23. Nikki1787

Nikki1787 Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2016
    Female
    :thumbsupdroid:Thank you! It worked perfectly and is fixed now..

24. Sharesa

Sharesa Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2017
    Female
    Cannot access this. 'Show Advanced Options' displays the word 'Proxy' and that's the end of the selection. :-(

25. Tjlunatique17

Tjlunatique17 Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks it worked on my s5 mini.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.