• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unable to download-error code (101)

Lord Vader

Android Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2010
My father has a rooted EVO and for months when trying to download or update certain apps, for example IRIS, he gets the message "unable to download -- error code (-101)." I've walked him through some troubleshooting, but nothing has helped to fix this.

I'm sure there's something I haven't yet tried. Does anyone have any suggestions? And why is it only affecting certain apps like IRIS?

Also, speaking of IRIS, he gets no speech from that. He can talk into the phone and get written responses from IRIS, but no returned speech answers.

I thought that one is unable to actually uninstall Google Play, that it's a system app? Similarly, where is the actual apk to re-download? If it's a system app that can't be uninstalled, it's not going to be on the Google Market site to download, is it?

Dustwun gave you the link but remember your rooted you can unistall system apps now. No you can't do it the traditional way you either a) need to go through Titanium Backup and uninstall from there or B) Use A File Manager like Root Explorer and navigate to the /system/app folder and find the google play.apk package file and delete it.

If using method number 2 or b in this case its best to reboot into recovery wipe cache and dalvic and then reboot into the ROM before side loading the new Google play store apk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones