• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unable to flash nexus s anymore

gettons

Lurker
Dec 25, 2011
Hi all,

I have a samsung nexus s GT-I9020 ( no rooted , no custom recovery ) and 1 week ago I received the OTA update for Ice Cream Sandwich. I updated but, after 1 week usage, I noticed serious issues with the battery. So I decided to revert back to gingerbread, by downloading a stock firmware 2.3.2-GRH78C nandroid backup and trying to do

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img

and so on.

But I do have a problem here. When, in fastboot, I first ran fastboot flash boot boot.img I got an error on the terminal

sending 'boot' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.185s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Write Fail)
finished. total time: 1.191s

and on the phone screen I can see

FAILED exceed blocks 0x0000001e > 0x0000001c

Similar error happens if I try the system partition, with the following error on the terminal

sending 'system' (151476 KB)...
OKAY [ 22.184s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: Write Fail)
finished. total time: 22.189s

and on the phone screen
Invalid Magic Code 0x00000003

The phone now has a recovery image ( clockwork ) which I have been able to install, but this is not able to browse any of the filesystems available. So I was looking at some stock img files I could flash via fastboot, At the moment the phone just hangs at fastboot mode saying no boot image is available.

I am using a ubuntu oneiric 32 bit and I have the latest android sdk tools.

This is not the first time I flash images using fastboot and I really have no idea why this is happening. It might be because my android version was icecream ? I have never had issues when flashing different versions of gingerbread. Also I used the encryption feature of icecream sandwich, if this is useful for you to know.

Thank you very much, hope someone can help me with that.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones