1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Unable to install drivers?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Drop Knowledge, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Drop Knowledge

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Technical Advisor
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey all...was finally going to take the plunge and root my E4GT tonight, but the drivers aren't being installed.

I downloaded Kies and went through installing it, then connected my phone via USB. In my device manager I see "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device", but nothing else related to the phone.

After opening Odin w/ the phone connected, no COM Port Mapping number displays, which means I'm missing the correct driver somehow...

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. jlear3

jlear3 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    unplug phone, reinstall drivers through options, then re-plug phone.

if this doesn't work, completely uninstall/reinstall keis without the phone plugged in

Also, make sure you put the phone into odin mode when trying to use odin

EDIT: also make sure kies isn't running when you're trying to use odin

Drop Knowledge likes this.
  3. arnould

arnould Well-Known Member
    None

try this steps:
    1.Uninstall Kies and all drivers, then reboot.
    2. Download and install the appropriate drivers
    3.Download and install Kies
    4.then Connect your phone

I would suggest you to download and reinstall the latest version of the driver.

Java Programming

4. Drop Knowledge

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Technical Advisor
    Baltimore, MD
    - Uninstalled Kies
    - Uninstalled Samsung driver
    - Rebooted
    - Downloaded and reinstalled Kies
    - Gave me the same generic Samsung driver
    - Tried installing just the drivers from Samsung's site, gives me the same driver
    - Still not properly recognized in Odin, but can transfer files through Kies or Windows Explorer

Suggestions? What is the name of the driver that I should have?

5. Drop Knowledge

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Technical Advisor
    Baltimore, MD

Thanks, think this was the issue...n00b'd out for a second :p

6. luigic81

luigic81 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Sales manager
    Portland, OR
    I am also not able to install drivers and odin does not recognize my phone.
    At first kies would not recognize my phone either, after going into device manager and installing drivers that were found on my computer (hopefully from installing kies) kies will now recognize that I connected a device but it says, to please reconnect in PC Studio mode, current mode is not supported by kies??, and then I get the windows USB device not recognized message, ODIN doesnt see my phone at all. Latest kies version is installed.

In an earlier post someone was talking about another drive in addition to kies, where do I find this??

Sorry I am so lost and frustrated, I am not a noob, I switched roms on my EVO every few days, but this is my first sammy and I can't get the damn thing to recognize my phone, Could anyone give me a detailed dumbed down step by step process please? Thank you!!!!

7. luigic81

None

Sep 30, 2010
    Sales manager
    Portland, OR
    tried on my 2nd pc, kies intalled without error message, but didnt recognize my device, i chose the install drivers option in kies, it seemed to install, but odin doesnt recognize it and still says usb not recognized when i plug it in urrrrr!

8. luigic81

None

Sep 30, 2010
    Sales manager
    Portland, OR
    ok so the second PC seems to have gotten the drive installed and my computer recognizes the it as samsung usb modem, and samsung android device, but it still isnt recognized by kies or odin, and the usb not recognized still pops up. When I go to device manager I can update the epic touch driver and it seems to take but there is also a USB mass storage driver that has a yellow triangle and I Cant seem to fix it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, been trying on 2 computers for 2 days. I have a rooted EVO and G tablet, i swear I'm not a complete idiot, I just need my damn computer to recognize my phone! Thanks, sorry for the rant

9. uminchu

uminchu Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Just in case, please check again and make sure you've enabled USB development. I know, you're not a noob, and I'm not trying to suggest you are. I've rooted a few phones myself, and I've forgotten to do that, and it prevented the phone from being recognized. Sometimes, at least in my experience, it's the simplest oversight that kicks my butt and drives me bats.