• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to receive files via bluetooth

CVK

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010

I'm helping out a friend of mine who just got a Backflip.

He's really frustrated because it can send files via Bluetooth, but it cannot receive.

I downloaded "Bluetooth File Transfer" on both his phone and on my Milestone, and tried sending him a .jpg . The progress bar reached 100%, then it said something about Bluetooth Object Push and the file was not transferred...

I checked his and my Bluetooth settings and we are both discoverable.

I looked around on the Internet, but I cannot find out whether it is a technical limitation for his phone or if there's just some setting I'm missing out here...

So how do I fix it?

Thanks,
CVK

P.S. Please feel free to ask for more details if you need them!

If I recall correctly, this is a feature limitation of Android 1.5. Also, I could be wrong about this, but I think the BT File Transfer application uses a different protocol than most phones to transfer files, so that might be why that didn't work (it might work between his phone and a computer, though). Once Motorola releases Android 2.1 for the Backflip (assuming he has the AT&T version of the phone) that functionality should be included.

Alternatively, the Preclair rom over at [ROM] Preclair Beta3 yes this is 2.1! Apps2sd bluetooth working 9.30.10 is a custom rom that is based on 2.1 that can be installed now. It is a bit of a process to install it (you have to root the phone, install a custom recovery, then the rom), and might be a bit over kill if all he wants is BT transfer, but 2.1 brings all sorts of other handy features anyway so it could be worth it (note that this rom is in no way official or supported by Motorola, and it is possible that you might void your warranty if you install the ROM).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones