• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to receive some iPhone group text discussions

dwinn52

Lurker
Jun 5, 2016
I receive group texts from three iPhone users. I receive the message from whoever sends the original text, but do not receive anyone else's replies during subsequent discussion. Is this an Apple thing or is there a setting I need to adjust on my Samsung S7?

It's an Apple thing, and there's not a lot you can do about it (unless you switch to an iPhone). Apple's iMessage is a closed, proprietary messaging network. While iMessage users can receive the industry common SMS and MMS messages, in order to send them they have to intentionally opt to do so, otherwise the iMessage app will always default to the using iMessage format messages. That's why you're only partially engaged with those group texts, it's a matter where everyone involved would have to specifically include you into the mix with every message.
Apple won't allow or release an Android version of iMessage, it prefers to keep its messaging system only within Apple's ecosystem. There are some third-party, non-Google Play apps that will let Android users become part of Apple's iMessage network but do note these are purely independent ventures, and you'll need to have and give your Apple I.D. and password to an anonymous site as Apple services require a valid login.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones