• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unable to root ota 2.2

I was rooted in 2.1 and lost root when upgrading to 2.2. Ninja ICON still appears. I tried to root using the instruction in DroidLife. The one click root failed with a rc 12. The Android SDK package that I downloaded was for 2.2. What do I need to do to get root in 2.2

Thanks

Yes I download the latest SDK, R07 and I only installed the SDK Platform for 2.2 API8 Revision 1. I copies the doroot files to tools folder of the SDK and have tried running this few times with the same result. The motorola drivers that I am using are 4.7.1

Upvote 0
when i did mine, i never saw my phone come up in the SDK/AVD manager box (the blue one) and finally i got fed up and just followed the directions like it had found my phone..clicked the doroot. the CMD box came up and did its thing, then said close program and open it. thats what i did. it took about 20/30 seconds and the CMD box starting doing something and i was rooted..i cant really tell ya more cuz not real sure of what i did...lol but it worked..
also i downloaded : superuser from the market before i got it to work

Upvote 0
can you past a copy of what the dos prompt tells you when you try to root?

I am successfully rooted now. The only message that I got back error code 12.

From the instructions on xda forums...
You need USB debugging icon showing in notifications. Try Charge Only if you can't get PC Mode to show USB debugging.

I was unable to get pc mode to show USB debugging. When using charge only I did get USB debugging to show in the notification area and was unsuccessful in rooting. I received the error 12. I changed to USB and and usb debugging was in the notification area and I was able to successfully root,

Upvote 0
you need to load the new USB driver. Connect as mass storage and let the install wizard do its thing.

I was following the instructions for Windows, and had PC Mode selected as my USB connection, like the instructions said, and the root would never take. I found your post saying to connect as mass storage, and voila...root!

Thanks so much, Raduray! Forums really are awesome. :D

Upvote 0
I was following the instructions for Windows, and had PC Mode selected as my USB connection, like the instructions said, and the root would never take. I found your post saying to connect as mass storage, and voila...root!

Thanks so much, Raduray! Forums really are awesome. :D

I did that but the driver didn't install but that's where I noticed that the driver was messed up (the driver was fine the day before so I didn't realize that's why root wasn't working). When I install the Android sdk it messes up my drivers and I have to reinstall, anyone else still having a problem try to install these drivers
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones