• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to setup Google Account???

slosvt

Nov 10, 2009
I am just wondering if anyone else is having an issue when trying to connect to Google? I have had zero luck since I purchased the phone yesterday.

Signing in...
Your phone is communicating with Google servers and setting up your account. This may take up to five minutes.

Then two minutes into it the screen goes blank and I get this message:
Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care.

Well, after 2 calls to customers care I am still getting the same error. I have full internet access, data capability and even setup my gmail account as the email to use. I can send and receive email/sms/mms, calls, etc...

Anyone else have something for me to try before returning the phone to Sprint? (it was purchased at BB).

I had this when I first got the hero and now have moment. I turned off the phone and back on and it seemed to work. I have to say that once you do get it connected, it works. Want to change gmail accounts....just import and export your contacts....I am truly impressed with android.

Upvote 0
Two things...

1) I don't have my Moment yet but... I think Google has been having some sync connection issues the last couple of days. I was trying to transfer my wife's contact from her Pearl to her Gmail account yesterday (in preparation for her getting a Hero) and it timed out repeatedly with the same error message as mentioned in the OP. Finally got it to work, but it took numerous attempts (like 20).

2) On new accounts (or dormant old ones), Google sometimes locks the account. Do a search for "google captcha" and the first link is a google page to unlock the account. This was a problem on Blackberrys using Google sync software. That may also fix the issue for anyone still having problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones