• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unable to setup torrent-fu on samsung vibrant

I am trying to setup torrent-fu to remotely control utorrent on my desktop. I have a home network with a Netgear N750 Dual Band Gigabit Router. The problem seems to be my external IP address. The router seems to assign all devices on my network to an IP address like so, 10.0.0.X (x being the unique identifier). So when I type 10.0.0.2 (which is my desktop) into torrent-fu, it works while my phone is on the home network. When I got to whatismyip.com it gives me an ip address, but that doesn't work in torrent-fu. Whenever I got to whatismyip.com from any device on my network, it gives me the same IP address. So I'm guessing the problem is the fact that my desktop doesn't have a unique external IP address, or any external IP address for that matter. All devices have a local IP address, which obviously won't work outside of my home network.

I called Netgear support and I got someone in another country who wasn't very helpful. He stated that the local IP address is the only IP address that can be assigned to my desktop....which I find hard to believe. I think the router I purchased is a pretty basic piece of hardware, and I've never heard of a router not allowing devices on its network to not be accessible remotely from outside the network. But then again, I'm not an expert in this field, hence my post asking for help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love for this app to work while outside the network, otherwise its just a fancy remote control.

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

hardware:
modem: 2wire gateway from AT&T with wireless disabled.
router: Netgear N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
mobile device: Samsung Vibrant running Froyo.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones