1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support unable to start phone after battery drained

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by monkey999, Jun 14, 2011.

1. monkey999

monkey999 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi,
    Travelling at moment and was using Locations successfully for driving around.
    Phone had issue with charging on car charger - current too low message - and I stupidly let the battery drain completely thus shutting itself off. Tried charging it later off mains and orange charging light was showing. However when tried to boot up I get the vibration indicating battery still dead. Tried same on spare battery. Same thing. It's had 24 hour chage and still same. Cannot even do a factory reset.
    Any ideas? Is there a known bug with leaving a battery completely drain?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. sonesh

sonesh Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Coventry, UK
    My girlfriends Blackberry is a complete pain when the battery is completely dead (some how I've never let my DHD battery completely die, despite my many poor battery related complaints).

Solution is to pull out the battery for a few seconds, then put it back in and charge for 15 minutes without trying to turn it back on. Then pull out the battery, reinsert and it turns on properly. Feel free to leave the charger plugged in during the whole of this.

Good luck

monkey999 likes this.
  3. monkey999

monkey999 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and advice sonesh. Was excited to think I could revive my dhd but alas it did not work. Charging light comes on ok and when battery is reinserted I still get the 3 buzz sounds which I think indicate the battery is dead. Anyway it still won't turn on. Guess I have to wait till I am back home to get it sent for repairs unless there is anything else I should try? Thanks again.

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    As a rule, you're not supposed to let Lithium Ion batteries go completely flat, although I've never heard of one completely dying before.

Instead of sending the handset back, you could get a cheap battery on eBay/amazon? If that works, it'll rule out a phone problem without the need to send back to HTC and risk being phoneless for weeks/months.....

monkey999 likes this.
  5. monkey999

monkey999 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    That's the thing. I do have a spare battery with me and the same condition carries over with it. A right pain especially when I am away in another country.
    A lesson for me is not to let the battery die completely. Not sure if it is a different situation when one is using Locations and gps as I was when it cut out as opposed to it naturally loosing power on standby over time. Didn't help that the car cigarette charger was not providing enough power to keep it going ( that was the message that popped up soon before it died completely)
    Anyway, sounds like I need to send back. Thanks for help.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Its true that draining the battery completely is a bad idea, but the phone should turn it's self off before that point to stop any damage being done.

So it happens with another battery too? If you've tried multiple chargers too, then it sounds more like it's the phone to me.

monkey999 likes this.
  7. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    When I drain my phone completely the battery dies 3x as fast for the next 3-4 charges.

monkey999 likes this.
  8. monkey999

monkey999 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Since it seems that that after leaving the battery die completely (was using Location and GPS at the time) it will no longer charge through the phone - same with 2nd battery although I am not sure what charge it had when I put it in. Orange light comes on as though it is charging but it never goes green to indicate a full charge. Appears to me that the battery is not actually charging. Have just ordered an external charger (dual dock) so hopefully it will charge battery and will be back working again. If not I will send it away for repair.