• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unbelieveable - Contact sorting

Just updated both EVO's to Froyo and I'm aghast....

I still can't sort contacts Lastname, Firstname

I'm so pissed I want to dump the damn things. This is such BASIC functionality that is missing from this phone.

You can set them with the last name, then first name. Just open the contact, edit and highlight their name. It gives you the option to have either the last name or the first name first.

Upvote 0
You can set them with the last name, then first name. Just open the contact, edit and highlight their name. It gives you the option to have either the last name or the first name first.

Was just about to post that Jim. When you're on the edit name screen hit the "Display Name" pull down. You'll have to do it for each contact though. It would be nice if there was an option to make it default on all contacts.

Upvote 0
Just updated both EVO's to Froyo and I'm aghast....

I still can't sort contacts Lastname, Firstname

I'm so pissed I want to dump the damn things. This is such BASIC functionality that is missing from this phone.

I can when you first put them in it will ask you how to sort them you simply choose last first. Mine are all last first no problem. Just go back and fix them all.

Upvote 0
Seriuosly??? This was your first post? :thinking:
TLA2001 has a legitimate complaint - and it doesn't matter if it's his first post or not. I use my phone for business purposes and have several hundred contacts to manage - the Android solution needs a lot of work. Overall, I love my EVO, but it's still a work in progress with a long way to go in the contact management department.

Upvote 0
I still don't understand why they need to be sorted in any particular order since you can search for anything quicker than it would take to scroll around (and I guess that's Google's way of training users to always rely on search).

+1 to this. Try it. It's a lot faster than scrolling through. Also makes the contacts widget obsolete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones