• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unbloated ROM with old Maps 6 app?

Snafuy

Jun 9, 2010
My dear old HTC Inc is gone. I now have a second hand Rezound. And I'm really Really REALLY disappointed with Maps 7 navigation.

Any suggestions for a ROM with:
* the old version of Maps / Navigation
* Verizon bloatware removed

Jelly Bean would be nice, but not mandatory. Sense vs Stock doesn't matter.

Thanks.

As for older maps,I'd think you could pull it from an old rom or older gapps,tho I'm not sure which one exactly would contain the version you're after.

As for roms,last thing I ran on my rezound was cm 10.1. Skimmed over a few threads for a friend a few days ago,and it looks like cm 10.2 and 11 are not as stable yet,tho possibly usable depending on the features you need.

Welcome to the rezound forum,just holler if you have questions. I don't use mine daily any more,but do try and check in here as often as I can :)

Reactions: Snafuy
Upvote 0
Actually, your choices here are quite varied. And scotty85 is correct that all you need to do is load the APK file directly and not update it (make sure you turn off automatic updating in the Play Store), the one you need is Google Maps 6.14.4 and it is available all over the Internet, try here first: Google Maps 6.14.4 Apk 1702 - Home APK

As far as ROMs go, there are LOTS available for the Rezound, the kicker is each phone is a little different on how it reacts to various JellyBean/KitKat ROMs, some work better than others on various handsets.

Some good places to start would be:

EclipticRez (ICS)
Beanstalk (JB)
Evervolv (KitKat)
VanirROM (KitKat)
Tachyon (JB)
LiquidSmooth v2.37 (JB)
CarbonROM (any JB version)

All can be found at XDA in the Rezound Development or Original Development forums... Of those, EclipticRez is probably the most stable overall (it is a semi-stock based ICS with Sense 4.1 over top), followed closely by Tachyon and LiquidSmooth/CarbonROM, and for the most stable KitKat I would go Evervolv then Vanir.

Note that most KK roms have camcorder issues, some work on some handsets and not others. Unfortunately, most of the hard core developers are moving on to other phones, so development on this device has slowed greatly in recent months.

Reactions: scotty85 and Snafuy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones