• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unbrand HTC Desire

snake28

May 22, 2009
Hi guys,

Im looking to unbrand my Desire (vodafone) so that I can install a generic 2.1 ROM to get the 2.2 update.

I was wondering how to do this. Would I have to root first?

After I rooted, could i just Unroot then load an original generic 2.1 ROM?

Only problem is that the rooting instructions on unlockr.com says the the ROM version has to be 1.21.XXX.X or below.

Mine is 1.24.161.3

Hello mate,

You don't need to root it. All you have to do is create a goldcard, put it in your phone, then load the generic rom and you should be able to update. Will work for 1.24.

By the way, I though Desire's from Voda were all unbranded?

ok then, i'll give it a go!

When they were first released from voda they where unbranded. Unfortunately I got mine stolen, and all Desires from Vodafone are now branded.

They have a Voda spalshscreen when the phone is turned on. No actual branding on the phone it-self though. They do come unlocked though.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Im looking to unbrand my Desire (vodafone) so that I can install a generic 2.1 ROM to get the 2.2 update.

I was wondering how to do this. Would I have to root first?

After I rooted, could i just Unroot then load an original generic 2.1 ROM?

Only problem is that the rooting instructions on unlockr.com says the the ROM version has to be 1.21.XXX.X or below.

Mine is 1.24.161.3

I am in the same situation and im struggling to get the update. Tried loads of guides including the one linked to above, but nothing seems to work!
If you get it sorted please let me know how ya managed it!

Upvote 0
have you followed the goldcard method properly, and flashed on the relevant htc RUU?

if so, you should be eligible to download the 2.2 OTA update.. bit of warning though, if you do update OTA to 2.2, you won't be able to root.

and if you're phone isn't unlocked, there is a chance that it could become sim locked when updating OTA because the radio gets updated, so you'll have to unlock the phone. (not sure if voda do this)

Upvote 0
I have followed the goldcard method correctly numerous times and tried the htc ruu mentioned in this thread along with many others, but it never works. I always get 1 of 2 or 3 different errors that occurr

Could it be because our bootloader is different, mine is 0.83!

Also i aint fussed about rooting i just want to debrand and get the update!

Upvote 0
Yep definitely 0,83 and the card is goldcard is definitely in there.
None of the errors mention the bootloader, one mentions getting the correct ruu, one mentions cid, or it might be the same one not sure, tried it so many times i get them mixed up.

I just tried the generic htc euro ruu, and got error 140 version error. get correct version.

Got to go now, early morning tomorrow but ill check back tomorrow night. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
I get the same error. My T-Mobile (UK) desire was updated with that OTA update few months back, which changed the bootloader version. So i suppose all the guides were made prior that update and assume you have old bootloader.
My software number is 1.21.110.4, but i suppose it is not the same as software keys Pedro7 is asking :)

Upvote 0
muziqaz, that is the key that i was asking about :)

to find it, settings -> about phone -> software information

if you look around on the desire forum, you should find a link to a list of RUU's on the xda website. im not sure which software version you need though to get the OTA update, there's two lol..

Upvote 0
muziqaz, that is the key that i was asking about :)

to find it, settings -> about phone -> software information

if you look around on the desire forum, you should find a link to a list of RUU's on the xda website. im not sure which software version you need though to get the OTA update, there's two lol..

its 1.24.161.3 cl199084, i think thats what your asking for.
I have seen that list of RUU's and have tried a few of them none of which worked. I get different errors each time i try them. all of the RUU's in the list have lower version numbers than the one already installed, is that a problem?

Upvote 0
may i ask who you are with? that number just means what software the phone is running.. if its not running the original htc RUU, that means that it is a branded phone. check in the personalise section, is there a scene from your carrier or something carrier related?

i assume you're trying to debrand right? have you rum the RUU whilst having the goldcard inserted in the phone?

Upvote 0
may i ask who you are with? that number just means what software the phone is running.. if its not running the original htc RUU, that means that it is a branded phone. check in the personalise section, is there a scene from your carrier or something carrier related?

i assume you're trying to debrand right? have you rum the RUU whilst having the goldcard inserted in the phone?

Yeah, its definitely vodafone branded, plash screen and some apps. And yeah all i am trying to do is debrand it. I have tried numerous RUU's while the goldcard was inserted and i always get an error. Sometimes a CID error sometimes a version error and there is another error but cant remember what it was.

Upvote 0
i don't know mate.. sounds like something is going wrong somewhere... have you plugged your card into the pc and checked to see if the goldcard has been created properly? if you jump over to the root sub forum, on the goldcard tool thread, a few posts down, i think the OP says how you can check if the goldcard has been created properly. there's some files to look for i think, i'll have a look.

Reactions: STANNY
Upvote 0
yea, its 3 posts down on that thread mate. check those files to see if the goldcard is created properly.

Thanks for your help mate. Just checked it and those files are there.
I tried running an RUU again and got error 140bootloader version error. And if i unplug the phone before pressing exit on the RUU the handset displays the bootloader with the text

RUU
Main Version is older!
Update fail!

Is it because the rom version on the handset (1.24.161.3) is a newer version than all the RUU's available? Is it not possible to update an older version?

Upvote 0
thanks for the tips, i will be looking a bit closer to this, as I was properly pissed today by T-Mobile. How long does it take to put a boot logo for the operator to the OS? One month? :D
I understand Orange coders, they have to shit all over the new OS to put some useless Orange stuff in it, but T-Mobile do not add anything to the OS except boot screen.
Anyway, thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones