1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Unbranded Atrix 4g In Kuala Lumpur

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mishraak, Jun 11, 2011.

1. mishraak

mishraak Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I wish to get Unbranded/Factory Unlocked Motorola Atrix 4G from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia through my sister. All she is getting is AT&T unlocked sets. I have few queries regarding the handsets,

1) If I root the AT&T handset and update with custom ROM, will the set be locked again.
    2) What all features I shall be missing I if AT&T unlocked set
    3) The dealer is giving 1 yr warranty which is of no use to me as my sister would be leaving Malaysia permanently.

Kindly help with any store in or near Kuala Lumpur which deals in factory unlocked sets.

Are AT&T unlocked sets worth buying?

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    AT&T is most likely the best because it has the most current firmware on it. It does block installing apps unless they come from the android market, but since you are going to root the phone, that is an easy fix. I believe that the phone will not re-lock when you flash a custom rom since we do not have any real full roms. There are roms out there but they are more of a modified set of system files than a rom. So once you get the unlock code, do not lose it.

So once you unlock the phone, root it and then enable sideloading, you should be good and not really need to do anything else. Also I recommend downloading and using market enabler (you can download it from the android market or from the developers website) it will enable you full market access outside of the USA.

Best of luck, and of you need help rooting or enabling sideloading, feel free to PM me.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    +1

Carrier unlcoking a phone has nothing to do with the ROM, it is done via an unlock code specific to the serial and/or IEMI number.