• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbrick the LG Ally (Updated 3-2-2011)

I have ran all 3 setups in the folder for USB Drivers, and for the life of me the computer will not recognize the phone. The odd thing is - I used the LG Updater for Froyo, but now nothing will recognize the phone.

I tried this method after getting stuck in a boot loop.

If at all possible I really need to get this phone working on my own, not through Verizon, because I'm currently on my dad's cell phone plan and he's in the hospital for an unknown amount of time :-\ So if I go into them they won't do anything without him there.

I think it's still salvageable if I can get the computer to recognize it when plugged in, but I don't know why it isn't. I'm running Windows 7 X64, when I ran the command prompt like program in XP SP2 mode with administrator perms as per directions and it seems to work fine but it just won't see the phone.

EDIT:

I also tried using the LG Updater to install the USB Drivers for the phone. Everything installed correctly, but Windows will still not connect the phone properly.

I'm guessing that my Ally may be corrupted to the point on no return?

Upvote 0
Ok so I thought I was doing everything by the guide but I somehow managed to wipe the meid on my phone. I know death has said that it's against the rules or whatever post a how to for this contingency but any help at all, even just a point in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks for all your hard word death and I'm pretty sure this is just my goof up not the method.

Upvote 0
Try the LGNPST Post, keep in mind all this does is put your phone back into a warranty returnable state (if you bricked it) and you could lose your MEID so the best thing to do is follow this or the LGNPST guide, connect to wifi and upgrade to the 2.2.1 update and then take it in and say it wont activate or something like that after the OTA.

The full fix requires patching the MEID to accept a user-input, which though you legally own the phone and the attached MEID, its still frowned upon for me to post the instructions on how to do it here. and could be considered illegal, though. I'm not a lawyer or any experience with the law, but i could argue that simply fixing the MEID from being all 0s or non-exsitant in some cases, and replacing that state of the MEID with the MEID underneath the battery is within my legal rights since im technically not tampering with the said MEID

Upvote 0
hey there new to this forum but this tut has been the closest ive gotten to bringing my phone back from the dead. a/w iam having the same issue as others with the process beginning then stopping and asking me to connect device and hit restart. im not a total newb ( been flashing for 2 1/2 yrs ) but this is my first attempt at "reviving the dead". any ideas with keeping this damn phone connected. @death, id consider you a genious if i get this to work, please help when you can, as i know we're all busy, thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones